A couple of questions for all lorry drivers on SF!

@Cyclone - I often use cruise control on the Motorway, and I agree that there is nothing more irritating than when you use it in the roadworks section, and the driver in lane 1 takes umbridge to your passing them at 48/49mph when they are doing 45mph. So they speed up thinking "Right then you bar stool. Im going to make sure you can't pull back in" then you are contstantly cancelling the cruise control, only to resume it a minute later. So the cycle repeats.

I find the best option is to sit in lane 3 and not be bullied out of the way by those determined to get a ticket. Once the roadworks section ends, move into lane 2 and let them speed off into oblivion.

@Cyclone - I often use cruise control on the Motorway, and I agree that there is nothing more irritating than when you use it in the roadworks section, and the driver in lane 1 takes umbridge to your passing them at 48/49mph when they are doing 45mph. So they speed up thinking "Right then you bar stool. Im going to make sure you can't pull back in" then you are contstantly cancelling the cruise control, only to resume it a minute later. So the cycle repeats.

I find the best option is to sit in lane 3 and not be bullied out of the way by those determined to get a ticket. Once the roadworks section ends, move into lane 2 and let them speed off into oblivion.

i had this last week on the M1 coming back from london, there are road works after junc 12 i think that last for a good few miles,theres the average speed cameras up all the way through so i set my cruise control to 51mph and was constanly flashed by the white van man behind to either speed up or pull over,

i had this last week on the M1 coming back from london, there are road works after junc 12 i think that last for a good few miles,theres the average speed cameras up all the way through so i set my cruise control to 51mph and was constanly flashed by the white van man behind to either speed up or pull over,

So why not pull over?

If I can pull over and let them speed through then I will.

I was more thinking about normal sections of motorway. I constantly see the same cars as I overtake them and they then overtake me. My needle never moves from whatever speed I've chosen, be that 70 or 80 or whatever, but other drivers simply cannot keep a constant speed.

As a respect to all the people who have died in the recent accident I thought I would put my questions on a new thread.

It has been said on SF (by some lorry drivers!) that accidents are in the main caused by car drivers!

Well, my first question is, why is it that when I am driving on the motorway in the left hand lane (at the speed limit I may add) very often I get lorries driving right up to my bumper and try and intimidate me into moving into the other lane?

Another question I would like to ask is why is it that very often I see two lorries following one another without any braking spaces whatsoever? If the lorry in front braked suddenly then the lorry behind would have no chance of stopping thus causing an accident - but I see this ever so regularly on the motorway. Why do lorry driver's do this?

And why do lorry drivers think that if they indicate they can just pull out? Very often I have had this when I cannot move into the right hand lane because there are cars coming up and yet the lorry driver seems to think that I can just move my car into a non-existence space WHY?

To be fair if you are on the motorway - as i assume you are referring to, you would have to be going ridiculously slow for the lorry to be having to get that close. In any case, you can speed up a lot quicker than a lorry thats going to take a while to get back up to speed after some moron who is doing 50 on the motorway pulls in front of them.

To be fair if you are on the motorway - as i assume you are referring to, you would have to be going ridiculously slow for the lorry to be having to get that close. In any case, you can speed up a lot quicker than a lorry thats going to take a while to get back up to speed after some moron who is doing 50 on the motorway pulls in front of them.

But what about the times when you are in 50mph road works or on the M6 which, at times, has variable speed limits? I am keeping to the speed limit but lorries (which I am told have a maximum speed of 56mph) are still driving right up to my bumper and expecting me to move.

If I am content to drive in the left hand lane at the correct speed limit why should I be intimidated by a lorry driver doing above the speed limit?

And no lorry driver has yet answered the question of why they drive behind the lorry in front without leaving even a car length's distance between the two lorries?

But what about the times when you are in 50mph road works or on the M6 which, at times, has variable speed limits? I am keeping to the speed limit but lorries (which I am told have a maximum speed of 56mph) are still driving right up to my bumper and expecting me to move.

If I am content to drive in the left hand lane at the correct speed limit why should I be intimidated by a lorry driver doing above the speed limit?

And no lorry driver has yet answered the question of why they drive behind the lorry in front without leaving even a car length's distance between the two lorries?

I am retired now but I am unable to answer you as it was something which I never did drive too close, if you leave room ( room = time ) that gives time to react in any emergency and this does not only apply to lorry drivers as drivers of all types of vehicles drive too close to the vehicle in front of them and is a lot more common now than it was 50 years ago.

I believe this is because of the vast improvement in brakes and vehicle build safety as when I started driving you would be lucky if you could stop in the recommended stopping distance. Everybody is in a rush nowadays and all the complaints of speeding camera's and speeding fines back this up.

Archived