A couple of questions for all lorry drivers on SF!

But what about the times when you are in 50mph road works or on the M6 which, at times, has variable speed limits? I am keeping to the speed limit but lorries (which I am told have a maximum speed of 56mph) are still driving right up to my bumper and expecting me to move.

If I am content to drive in the left hand lane at the correct speed limit why should I be intimidated by a lorry driver doing above the speed limit?

And no lorry driver has yet answered the question of why they drive behind the lorry in front without leaving even a car length's distance between the two lorries?

They do it to be in the slipstream of the vehicle ahead. I.e. It is easier on their fuel consumption.

But it is also ridiculously blind driving and I can't see how they ever get to feel happy doing it.

But what about the times when you are in 50mph road works or on the M6 which, at times, has variable speed limits? I am keeping to the speed limit but lorries (which I am told have a maximum speed of 56mph) are still driving right up to my bumper and expecting me to move.

If I am content to drive in the left hand lane at the correct speed limit why should I be intimidated by a lorry driver doing above the speed limit?

You are probably doing 46mph due to your inaccurate speedo.

And no lorry driver has yet answered the question of why they drive behind the lorry in front without leaving even a car length's distance between the two lorries?

They have, it's to reduce wind resistance and save fuel. It's obviously not the safest way to drive though.

For the sake of 4 mph? Seriously?

You will be amazed what difference 4mph makes on the day you must never have been in a truck before,4mph means that you get 4miles more in every hour take that on a day and it is a lot more work or drops you have done just think if you were going to London or some where at 50mph all the way compared to 54mph do the maths every minute counts when you are delivering things, some company's hold money back or put surcharges on top for not delivering on time.

For the sake of 4 mph? Seriously?

I've no idea how you drive on the motorway, but generally if I catch up with another vehicle and it's safe, I change lane and continue at the speed I'm travelling.

The difference can be 4mph, 0.4mph or 40mph, I don't see why you would expect anything else.

The alternative, that you slow down will of course eventually result in a long line of traffic all travelling very slowly. I catch up with a car that is doing 4mph less than me, so I slow down. At some point he catches up with a car travelling 4mph slower than him, he slows down, I slow down, repeat.

4mph means you'll be alongside the other vehicle for the space of a few seconds, and that it will be safe to pull in again in about 20seconds. What speed differential do you require before you decide to overtake someone (you can drive right? I ask because it's not at all clear from these posts that you can).

You are probably doing 46mph due to your inaccurate speedo.

They have, it's to reduce wind resistance and save fuel. It's obviously not the safest way to drive though.

She probably is doing 50 when going through 50mph roadworks lorries still do 56mph regardless. I don't know why.

Archived