A couple of questions for all lorry drivers on SF!

What makes you think she wasn't doing 46, quite a lot of speedo's over read.

I don't know for sure but I've driven through roadworks particularly on the m1 both as a driver and a passenger in at 6 different vehicles many times in the past 6 months (some almost brand new) and whilst I was travelling at 50, lorries (not cars at all really) drove past me almost constantly at 56mph or so. They were mainly courier wagons like TNT etc one night, if that makes a difference.

As I said in an earlier post they either all have a lot of points on their licence or they know something I don't.

Because they just drive on the limiter...saves having to think about what you're doing.. :)

When you set a speed limiter is not set in stone it is like a throttle you can adjust it as you go along, as soon as you ether flick the switch or press the brakes it goes off ,on the Volvo's you can drive the truck on the limiter as they are automatic gear boxes if you use the exhaust brake and {the best thing to call is a cruse control} you can drive the truck with out even touching the pedals for miles the cruse controls on a truck are very different to a cars.

You are probably doing 46mph due to your inaccurate speedo..

I KNOW I am NOT doing 46mph and I don't have an inaccurate speedo. I am quite paranoid at going OVER the speed limit and getting a ticket and as I always have my sat nav on when I'm driving up North I always set it to show what speed I am going whenever I am driving through roadworks.

The reason why I do this is:-

1. So I DON'T get a speeding ticket and

2. So I am NOT holding up traffic!!

And yet lorries overtake me???? :huh::suspect:

I KNOW I am NOT doing 46mph and I don't have an inaccurate speedo. I am quite paranoid at going OVER the speed limit and getting a ticket and as I always have my sat nav on when I'm driving up North I always set it to show what speed I am going whenever I am driving through roadworks.

The reason why I do this is:-

1. So I DON'T get a speeding ticket and

2. So I am NOT holding up traffic!!

And yet lorries overtake me???? :huh::suspect:

That only proves that your speedometer does not read over it does not prove it could be reading lower where as a lorry as a tachograph which is calibrated to a very tight tolerance and the only cars which come any where near will be police traffic cars.

On the newer lorry's it will show everything from gear changes to how you brake as well as the speed and fuel consumption. The bigger company's actually have trackers in as well and all this information is relayed back to the traffic office so they know where each vehicle is and what speed it is doing all the time.

That only proves that your speedometer does not read over it does not prove it could be reading lower where as a lorry as a tachograph which is calibrated to a very tight tolerance and the only cars which come any where near will be police traffic cars.

On the newer lorry's it will show everything from gear changes to how you brake as well as the speed and fuel consumption. The bigger company's actually have trackers in as well and all this information is relayed back to the traffic office so they know where each vehicle is and what speed it is doing all the time.

But like I say I use my sat nav as a guide not my speedo and yes the speedo does read differently to the sat nav (usually less) and THAT is why I rely more on the sat nav reading than the speedo but even though I am going at 50mph lorries overtake me so they must be going above the speed limit.

But like I say I use my sat nav as a guide not my speedo and yes the speedo does read differently to the sat nav (usually less) and THAT is why I rely more on the sat nav reading than the speedo but even though I am going at 50mph lorries overtake me so they must be going above the speed limit.

Your sat nav will not be as accurate as a tachograph as they can be used in court as evidence in a criminal court. I am not disputing they are going ove 50 mph but their maximum speed is 56 mph and quite a few of the big company's actually have the limit set around 52/3 mph as this is more economical.

Maybe they assume that 56 won't be enough to trigger an offence (it should be 10%+2, giving 57+ as the trigger point) if ACPO guidelines are being followed.

Obviously the 10% thing must be a myth.

I do actually about 4 weeks ago I was on my way to Preston and was following a mate who works for the same company along the M62, he recently got a letter through the post and it looks like he is going to get a fine for going through the roadworks at an average speed of 53mph, they sent him two start and finish type pictures, you can see my truck at the back of his truck, I did not get anything from it and I was traveling as far as I can make out at the same speed, there is some sort of randomness or luck about average speed cameras.

Obviously the 10% thing must be a myth.

This is something that confuses me with these average speed cameras, usually if you go through a 30mph speed camera at say 6 mile an hour over you will get done,average speed means in the middle so at some time in the measured distance you might have been going over the speed limit it looks as though they must do some sort of calculations to find the average speed so at one time you will have been doing say 56mph tops and may be 46 mph at the lowest speed so basically you have covered that distance over the stated speed generating an automatic fine.it always seems they can not wait to get these cameras up they are sometimes there before the work starts they must be a good money spinner as a lot of people seem to get tickets in theses kind of cameras,there was a report once about some cameras on the M25 in the works they did for the Heathrow airport work the amount of money the camera made was unbelievable.

Archived