A couple of questions for all lorry drivers on SF!

it always seems they can not wait to get these cameras up they are sometimes there before the work starts they must be a good money spinner as a lot of people seem to get tickets in theses kind of cameras,there was a report once about some cameras on the M25 in the works they did for the Heathrow airport work the amount of money the camera made was unbelievable.

If there are that many people who consistently break the law, then the more of such cameras are put into place the better for all of us. If only there were such easy ways of fining people who break all laws, and not just this one, we might be able to do away with tax altogether and law-abiding folk would pay nothing!

If there are that many people who consistently break the law, then the more of such cameras are put into place the better for all of us. If only there were such easy ways of fining people who break all laws, and not just this one, we might be able to do away with tax altogether and law-abiding folk would pay nothing!

Disproportionately enforce many laws rather than just the current small set... Maybe they could put a CCTV camera in your bathroom as well.

But like I say I use my sat nav as a guide not my speedo and yes the speedo does read differently to the sat nav (usually less) and THAT is why I rely more on the sat nav reading than the speedo but even though I am going at 50mph lorries overtake me so they must be going above the speed limit.

But sat navs are not 100% accurate either. First of all they work on averages - you'll notice this is you set off from standing, the speed "jumps" rather than rises in 1mph increments.

Secondly the accuracy varies if you're driving on flat ground to driving on an incline.

GPS measure a calculated speed based on signals from space. The accuracy is determined by update interval, terrain and speed. It is not a measure of road speed.

I'm not saying that GPS is inaccurate. Take into account tyre wear and speedo accuracy figures, GPS is probably more accurate. But don't rely on it solely for your speed reading - particularly if you're driving to the limit.

But sat navs are not 100% accurate either. First of all they work on averages - you'll notice this is you set off from standing, the speed "jumps" rather than rises in 1mph increments.

That's an artefact of how often the display refreshes coupled with the way it calculates the speed. All speed measurement is an 'average' really, the question is how granular is it.

Secondly the accuracy varies if you're driving on flat ground to driving on an incline.

GPS measure a calculated speed based on signals from space. The accuracy is determined by update interval, terrain and speed. It is not a measure of road speed.

I'm not saying that GPS is inaccurate. Take into account tyre wear and speedo accuracy figures, GPS is probably more accurate. But don't rely on it solely for your speed reading - particularly if you're driving to the limit.

If travelling on the flat in a straight line, it's probably more accurate than most speedo's. But like you say, you have to understand what it's measuring to make use of it.

Archived