A couple of questions for all lorry drivers on SF!

If you have got it, a trucker helped it on it's way somewhere along the line.

Angel.

Ya delivered some funny things in the past I once delivered a 1000 toilet seats, I delivered the lamp posts that are in the car parks at Medowhall, one week I went to a sweet making factory in Chesterfield and delivered them to Iceland it said on the packets Chesterfield mix 99p,the next week I went to the same factory and picked a load of sweets up and the packets said Harrods Chesterfield mix sweets £9.99p they were the same sweets accept the bags were in Harrods green livery what a big mark up that was:o

I believe all car drivers should be made to do an hour's drive about in an hgv on a private track during their learning to realise how different it is in a truck and it will make them see the blindspots and what not for themselves.

I think some car drivers think it is as easy as driving a car!

I believe all car drivers should be made to do an hour's drive about in an hgv on a private track during their learning to realise how different it is in a truck and it will make them see the blindspots and what not for themselves.

I think some car drivers think it is as easy as driving a car!

Thats not a bad idea, but sadly not gonna happen. Some truckers can be twits, we all know that, but most of us do try to drive with a bit of courtesy as I wouldnt want to injure anyone with my truck, as I wouldnt want to carry around someones elses death on my shoulders for the rest of my life. And that is the truth.

Did anyone see the programme the other night, where the police had use of an HGV to enable them to see into the cabs of passing lorries and film anyone who appears to be driving carelessly?

Some drivers were reading their work sheets, changing batteries and sims in mobile phones, texting, having phone conversations and watching dvds, making drinks and food - whilst driving at speed.

The main problem is that someone driving a massive lorry running into the back of other vehicles through being distracted is much more lethal than someone doing the same thing in a car or van.

I wonder, do they become blase because of the vast mileage they clock up and lose sight of the danger they pose to the rest of us? Half the time, they don't even see us. They showed the vid of the lorry pushing that car along for several miles, the driver didn't even know it was there till he was stopped.

Did anyone see the programme the other night, where the police had use of an HGV to enable them to see into the cabs of passing lorries and film anyone who appears to be driving carelessly?

Some drivers were reading their work sheets, changing batteries and sims in mobile phones, texting, having phone conversations and watching dvds, making drinks and food - whilst driving at speed.

The main problem is that someone driving a massive lorry running into the back of other vehicles through being distracted is much more lethal than someone doing the same thing in a car or van.

I wonder, do they become blase because of the vast mileage they clock up and lose sight of the danger they pose to the rest of us? Half the time, they don't even see us. They showed the vid of the lorry pushing that car along for several miles, the driver didn't even know it was there till he was stopped.

Lethal? Much more lethal? A pillock in a CAR came speeding down the outside lane of the M6 last year, lost control, flipped it over and burst into flames. 7 dead, and many more injured. And all this seen from the view in cab, as it slowed down to a safe stop, with hazzards on warning drivers behind him of a danger. (Not that many car drivers know hazzard lights mean danger. Most see them as a parking ticket for double yellow lines.)

Afterwards, several people saw this woman applying lipstick at an estimated speed of 90mph.

Please dont point out just the bad truckers Ruby, as the crazy car driver can do just as bad, if not worse.

Ya I saw that on my lap top while I was driving down the M1 the other day I nearly spilled my ravioli on my lap who could do that I ask you no sorry only joking,I can tell you a few things I have seen car drivers doing while driving dont forget we get a birds eye view of what goes off in the cars,blokes shaving a bloke changing his shirt while stood in traffic a woman putting lippie on looking in the rear view mirror and the amount of reps I have seen doing the paper work in there cars and driving along I can not count, I once saw one old lady driving down the motorway with a dog sat on here lap, car drivers holding mobile phones when driving at full speed down the motorway seen that loads of times every day you name it I have seen it not to mention the rude ones,that cop truck was out for a week and they only got 2 drivers by the looks of it not very good that for the amount of money it would have cost

As a respect to all the people who have died in the recent accident I thought I would put my questions on a new thread.

It has been said on SF (by some lorry drivers!) that accidents are in the main caused by car drivers!

Well, my first question is, why is it that when I am driving on the motorway in the left hand lane (at the speed limit I may add) very often I get lorries driving right up to my bumper and try and intimidate me into moving into the other lane?

Another question I would like to ask is why is it that very often I see two lorries following one another without any braking spaces whatsoever? If the lorry in front braked suddenly then the lorry behind would have no chance of stopping thus causing an accident - but I see this ever so regularly on the motorway. Why do lorry driver's do this?

And why do lorry drivers think that if they indicate they can just pull out? Very often I have had this when I cannot move into the right hand lane because there are cars coming up and yet the lorry driver seems to think that I can just move my car into a non-existence space WHY?

Maybe because driving great big vehicles they think that they own the road and are invulnerable to injury if involved in a collison which is a complete fallacy.

Too many accidents can also cost a driver his commercial vehicle license if these accidents are found to be caused through his negligence

Just read this thread..the whole of it.

It seems to be about "Us and Them" ..i.e car drivers verses Lorry Drivers.

Time to stop the bickering folks

Having driven in excess of 25,000 miles per year (mostly on motorways) I can say with some degree of accuracy that's it's 50/50.

Car drivers and lorry drivers driving up someones arse is commom place!

The fact that a lorry is much bigger than a car is no excuse to blame them .They have better braking sytems to compensate.

Most and yes I mean most drivers seem to have no concept of the danger of driving too close to the vehicle in front.

"Speed kills".........be aware and "keep Your distance" no matter what you are driving.

Just read this thread..the whole of it.

It seems to be about "Us and Them" ..i.e car drivers verses Lorry Drivers.

Time to stop the bickering folks

Having driven in excess of 25,000 miles per year (mostly on motorways) I can say with some degree of accuracy that's it's 50/50.

Car drivers and lorry drivers driving up someones arse is commom place!

The fact that a lorry is much bigger than a car is no excuse to blame them .They have better braking sytems to compensate.

Most and yes I mean most drivers seem to have no concept of the danger of driving too close to the vehicle in front.

"Speed kills".........be aware and "keep Your distance" no matter what you are driving.

Well said. Mostly distance is the killer. The space you have in front of you is your safety net, untill somebody cuts into it. Easy-ish to stop in a car......not so easy to stop in a truck. Did somebody mention that education is the answer?:clap:

When I asked the questions I genuinly wanted to know. I wasn't intending it to be a case of them and us. I was just going on my own observations and experiences.

I always leave quite a large gap between my vehicle and the one in front and yet many times I see lorries driving so close together - not even a car length's distance. So my question is why do they do this when it is always being pointed out lorry driver's are professionals and car driver's should learn to drive like them.

Archived