A couple of questions for all lorry drivers on SF!

When I asked the questions I genuinly wanted to know. I wasn't intending it to be a case of them and us. I was just going on my own observations and experiences.

I always leave quite a large gap between my vehicle and the one in front and yet many times I see lorries driving so close together - not even a car length's distance. So my question is why do they do this when as it is always being pointed out that lorry driver's are professionals and car driver's should learn to drive like them.

I've never heard anyone say this bold and underline bit, let alone always being pointed out. :confused:

Afterwards, several people saw this woman applying lipstick at an estimated speed of 90mph.

Please dont point out just the bad truckers Ruby, as the crazy car driver can do just as bad, if not worse.

There's no need to be so defensive, I've never had a problem with lorries on the motorway. This is a topic about lorry drivers. I merely asked if anyone saw the programme, highlighted some of the findings, and if they think professional drivers become blase about their abilities to that extent?

You counter this with an unsupported story about a car driver causing a major incident involving death and mayhem. And, of course, it would have to be a story involving a woman applying lipstick, wouldn't it? If you want to troll me, you'll have to do better than that.

Did anyone see the programme the other night, where the police had use of an HGV to enable them to see into the cabs of passing lorries and film anyone who appears to be driving carelessly?

Some drivers were reading their work sheets, changing batteries and sims in mobile phones, texting, having phone conversations and watching dvds, making drinks and food - whilst driving at speed.

The main problem is that someone driving a massive lorry running into the back of other vehicles through being distracted is much more lethal than someone doing the same thing in a car or van.

I wonder, do they become blase because of the vast mileage they clock up and lose sight of the danger they pose to the rest of us? Half the time, they don't even see us. They showed the vid of the lorry pushing that car along for several miles, the driver didn't even know it was there till he was stopped.

I saw one on Saturday morning driving a Tesco artic lorry. He was turning off the m8 on his way to Tescos Silverburn shopping centre.He was actually using his elbows to steer,whilst tapping away on his mobile.

When I asked the questions I genuinly wanted to know. I wasn't intending it to be a case of them and us. I was just going on my own observations and experiences.

I always leave quite a large gap between my vehicle and the one in front and yet many times I see lorries driving so close together - not even a car length's distance. So my question is why do they do this when it is always being pointed out lorry driver's are professionals and car driver's should learn to drive like them.

I'd still like to know how you get a vehicle limited to 56mph tail gating you on the motorway if you think you're driving at the speed limit...

Maybe because driving great big vehicles they think that they own the road and are invulnerable to injury if involved in a collison which is a complete fallacy.Too many accidents can also cost a driver his commercial vehicle license if these accidents are found to be caused through his negligence

Aye, it scared the crap out of me every day, a piece of glass at the front of you, 40 tons behind waiting to squash you flat.

Angel.

As a respect to all the people who have died in the recent accident I thought I would put my questions on a new thread.

It has been said on SF (by some lorry drivers!) that accidents are in the main caused by car drivers!

Well, my first question is, why is it that when I am driving on the motorway in the left hand lane (at the speed limit I may add) very often I get lorries driving right up to my bumper and try and intimidate me into moving into the other lane?

Another question I would like to ask is why is it that very often I see two lorries following one another without any braking spaces whatsoever? If the lorry in front braked suddenly then the lorry behind would have no chance of stopping thus causing an accident - but I see this ever so regularly on the motorway. Why do lorry driver's do this?

And why do lorry drivers think that if they indicate they can just pull out? Very often I have had this when I cannot move into the right hand lane because there are cars coming up and yet the lorry driver seems to think that I can just move my car into a non-existence space WHY?

because lorry and bus/coach drivers rule the motorways.....it is their's and can do anything they want.....but watch out for the foreign one's they are the worst....truckers rule ok.....

I'd still like to know how you get a vehicle limited to 56mph tail gating you on the motorway if you think you're driving at the speed limit...

Very easily driving on the M6! Not all motorways have a statutory 70mph all the time!

I have also had the experience whereby I have been following a lorry quite content to sit behind him for a while and then another lorry comes up behind me right on my bumper and flashes me to get out of the way - WHY?

Is it that lorry drivers don't like cars in 'their' lanes or what?

I had front wheel blow out on the M6 once talk about a change of under pants, I was doing 50 odd miles an hour in an fully laden artic it was very early in the morning so there was not a lot of vehicles about just a normal day on my way up to Glasgow to drop a load off, when I heard this big bang sound and the steering wheel started to shack next thing I am heading down the carriageway up the carriageway sideways backwards round and round I ended up in the middle of the road facing the on coming traffic with my bed and all the stuff out of the back of the cab on top of me, how I did not turn the truck over I don't know if it had been a busy time of day the accident could have been catastrophic.

Archived