A couple of questions for all lorry drivers on SF!

A lot of bad truck driving is done by the foreign drivers the VOSA have been clamping down on them lately,they drive on the left and it is always a problem when pulling out for them they can not see some small cars on there blind side and a middle lane hogging car driver is at risk of getting in an accident,most car drivers ignore trucks indicators when we indicate to pull out it means we are pulling out to over take,it does not mean the car driver should speed up all you have to do is slow down or pull over into the next lane and you can just carry on with your day, a car has at lot more acceleration than a truck and can easily pull away from any truck the time scale is so different to driving a car and you have to forward plan every movement if I have to overtake I look through my rear view morrow and see what is happening far behind and look in both lanes to make sure any car coming up behind me is not going to have to take adverse and potentially dangerous actions that could lead to an accident, a fully laden 40 tone truck should be driven with up-most care and safety at all times one wrong move can be a very serous accident and people can loose there life's .

A lot of bad truck driving is done by the foreign drivers the VOSA have been clamping down on them lately,they drive on the left and it is always a problem when pulling out for them they can not see some small cars on there blind side and a middle lane hogging car driver is at risk of getting in an accident,most car drivers ignore trucks indicators when we indicate to pull out it means we are pulling out to over take,it does not mean the car driver should speed up all you have to do is slow down or pull over into the next lane and you can just carry on with your day, a car has at lot more acceleration than a truck and can easily pull away from any truck the time scale is so different to driving a car and you have to forward plan every movement if I have to overtake I look through my rear view morrow and see what is happening far behind and look in both lanes to make sure any car coming up behind me is not going to have to take adverse and potentially dangerous actions that could lead to an accident, a fully laden 40 tone truck should be driven with up-most care and safety at all times one wrong move can be a very serous accident and people can loose there life's .
My Bold....

No...when you indicate to pull out it means you would like to pull out.

It's not a defence to say "well, I indicated".

You only pull out when safe to do so....not when you feel like it with no regard to other road users.

No driver of any vehicle should make a manoeuvre to cause any other road user to take evasive action!

My Bold....

No...when you indicate to pull out it means you would like to pull out.

It's not a defence to say "well, I indicated".

You only pull out when safe to do so....not when you feel like it with no regard to other road users.

No driver of any vehicle should make a manoeuvre to cause any other road user to take evasive action!

You need to read all of my reply I clearly state my procedure for overtaking, look a bit further next time before you make a silly comment , I don't need some one like you telling how to drive I have been driving trucks for 30 years and never had any accidents at all and have a clean licence as well.

A lot of bad truck driving is done by the foreign drivers the VOSA have been clamping down on them lately,they drive on the left and it is always a problem when pulling out for them they can not see some small cars on there blind side and a middle lane hogging car driver is at risk of getting in an accident

If they're next to the lorry then they're correctly in the middle lane

,most car drivers ignore trucks indicators when we indicate to pull out it means we are pulling out to over take

This could be a problem, what it actually means is that you'd like to pull out, you have to wait until it's safe to do so, not expect cars to accomodate you.

,it does not mean the car driver should speed up all you have to do is slow down or pull over into the next lane and you can just carry on with your day, a car has at lot more acceleration than a truck and can easily pull away from any truck the time scale is so different to driving a car and you have to forward plan every movement if I have to overtake I look through my rear view morrow and see what is happening far behind and look in both lanes to make sure any car coming up behind me is not going to have to take adverse and potentially dangerous actions that could lead to an accident, a fully laden 40 tone truck should be driven with up-most care and safety at all times one wrong move can be a very serous accident and people can loose there life's .

I'd do exactly what you suggest if possible, drive past or move into the 3rd lane. But if I choose not to, it's not an excuse for you to run into me!

If they're next to the lorry then they're correctly in the middle lane

This could be a problem, what it actually means is that you'd like to pull out, you have to wait until it's safe to do so, not expect cars to accomodate you.

I'd do exactly what you suggest if possible, drive past or move into the 3rd lane. But if I choose not to, it's not an excuse for you to run into me!

Why the hell should I want to run into you idiot, when I indicate to move out into the lane I would not move until the lane is clear or the car has moved past or into the next lane, Im not responding to anymore of your silly remarks you clearly are have no idea at all about motorway driving or trucks you are actually accusing me of coursing an accident and in the light of what has recently happened on the M5 you need to think before you put things on here again"

While I sympathise with lorry drivers and the lack of opportunities for them to move on the motorway because of the sheer length of their lorry - they see a suitable sized gap, they have to go for it quickly - I still have an issue with them doing so when they're only moving 1 or 2 mph faster than the lorry they're trying to overtake, and the associated carnage they cause behind.

Why the hell should I want to run into you idiot, when I indicate to move out into the lane I would not move until the lane is clear or the car has moved past or into the next lane, Im not responding to anymore of your silly remarks you clearly are have no idea at all about motorway driving or trucks you are actually accusing me of coursing an accident and in the light of what has recently happened on the M5 you need to think before you put things on here again"

I didn't accuse you of anything, I was just pointing out that your indicators are to indicate, they don't guarantee you a space.

You're the one who was saying that car drivers should get out of your way when you indicate

all you have to do is slow down or pull over into the next lane

They don't have to do anything, you shouldn't perform a manoeuvre that causes another driver to have to change speed or direction.

While I sympathise with lorry drivers and the lack of opportunities for them to move on the motorway because of the sheer length of their lorry - they see a suitable sized gap, they have to go for it quickly - I still have an issue with them doing so when they're only moving 1 or 2 mph faster than the lorry they're trying to overtake, and the associated carnage they cause behind.

I will try and answer your comments,nothing can be done quickly in a truck, like I said before you have to look and plan what you are going to do carefully and safely, the law says that we are not supposed to go over 60mph on the motorways, most trucks are governed to 56mph as that has proven to be the the most economical speed to travel at, this speed can vary due to the load weight and the inclines, many times I have come up to a truck that is moving slow on a hill indicated to overtake him and by the time I have got to top of the hill he has caught up with me on the flat you can not just all drive along in convoy it would not be practical.

<Snip> many times I have come up to a truck that is moving slow on a hill indicated to overtake him and by the time I have got to top of the hill he has caught up with me on the flat you can not just all drive along in convoy it would not be practical.

I understand. A convoy would be impractical, but if you are making little to no progress on the person you are overtaking why not simply admit defeat, slow down and swing in behind him? This would let the other traffic get on their way too. This is especially a problem on dual carrigeways like the A1 for example.

<snip> most car drivers ignore trucks indicators when we indicate to pull out it means we are pulling out to over take,it does not mean the car driver should speed up all you have to do is slow down or pull over into the next lane and you can just carry on with your day, a car has at lot more acceleration than a truck and can easily pull away from any truck the time scale is so different to driving a car <snip>

As others have said, indicators are an indication of what you would like to do.

As an Advanced car driver, and an advanced driving instructor, I would encourage my students to get out of the way of a lorry who wished to move into their lane. This can be achieved by braking, or accelerating. If lane 3 was unavailable I teach my student car drivers to accelerate to allow the lorry to move in behind them, and thus not hold them up by doing 56mph.

This allows the car driver to continue their journey and the lorry to overtake without holding them up. This is a completely legal and proper manoeuvre.

A lorry driver should be aware of what is happening around them, and if lane 2 has a car in it, by all means indicate, and then wait for a response from the car driver.

Archived