Misleading advertising question

I'm not going to name and shame but recently I used the services of a shop in Sheffield. This shop advertised on their shop front windows a 20% student discount in 3 foot tall letters. There is no other text other then "20% Student Discount"

After using the service and coming to pay I whipped out my NUS card only to be told that they do not do student discount on Saturdays. I was directed to a small sign half obscured in the back that states they only do student discount on Mon-Fri.

Can they do this? The sign on the outside had no mention of the conditions, not even a small star like so many others. I felt as though I had been mislead by their advertising.

It would certainly help if the information was clearly visible. Did you continue with the 'purchase' or decline?

I think having the info there covers there arses but, they are at fault maybe for attracting customers under concealed pretences if there is such a thing.

It would certainly help if the information was clearly visible. Did you continue with the 'purchase' or decline?

I think having the info there covers there arses but, they are at fault maybe for attracting customers under concealed pretences if there is such a thing.

erm, im trying not to give away who they are as i know its against the terms of use of this forum, so all I can say is you pay after using the service and at this moment I was told of the limitations of their huge advert.

I still would have refused to pay full price; let them sue for the difference if they think they have a valid case.

That said, it's usually wise to ask about such offers in advance, to avoid exactly this sort of scenario. You shouldn't have to ask - exceptions should be made clear in advance - but they aren't always, as you now know.

I suppose it depends if you wanted to keep a good relationship with the shop in the future. Although the same could be said to them for your custom.

If I went into a shop purely on the basis of a discounted price advertised in the window with no other visible signs of any exceptions. I would pay them the discounted cost. I'm not blowing smoke, this has happened to me and I only paid the discounted price, they kicked up a fuss so I told them to go FThemselves and left. They didn't pursue me and rightly so. Putting a huge sale or discount sign in a window with a tiny sign hidden in the back doesn't cut it for me. Sadly many will just pay it.

erm, im trying not to give away who they are as i know its against the terms of use of this forum, so all I can say is you pay after using the service and at this moment I was told of the limitations of their huge advert.

I bet there's some good shops either side though, refresh my memory ;)

Probably, if the case was argued it may be that they'd have shown some goodwill.

I bet there's some good shops either side though, refresh my memory ;)

Probably, if the case was argued it may be that they'd have shown some goodwill.

actually there isn't. But the good news is there is a new shop just down the road with its prices on the window and shock horror they actually charge you that price :shocked: and its a heck of a lot cheaper!

Archived