Misleading advertising question

I was directed to a small sign half obscured in the back that states they only do student discount on Mon-Fri.

Wonders whether the small sign gets swapped for one which says "Student Discount only available Sat - Sun" on weekdays...

solved for me, but what about other students who fall into the same trap?

Either one of several possibilities will arise.

1) They will not notice when the shop assistant tells them they can't have the discount so end up paying full price.

2) They accept they can't have the discount but purchase the goods anyway.

3) They leave and either purchase the goods elsewhere or come back during the week when the offer is valid.

4) Bloody students.

jb

Either one of several possibilities will arise.

1) They will not notice when the shop assistant tells them they can't have the discount so end up paying full price.

2) They accept they can't have the discount but purchase the goods anyway.

3) They leave and either purchase the goods elsewhere or come back during the week when the offer is valid.

4) Bloody students.

jb

You haven't read it right. You have to have the service before payment, it's probably a hairdressers.

Their advertising certainly seems intentionally misleading, sneaky and unfair.

I became so frustrated by these kinds of hidden provisos and restrictions on special deals that I now ask about them BEFORE I agree to the service or purchase. For example:

*I will get the 20 percent off the price of this haircut, right?

*Can I use this coupon on this item today?

*With all the discounts, what's my final cost going to be?

Also, I ask for the employee's name so I can refer to him or her if there's a disagreement later: "I spoke to Joe this afternoon and he assured me I could use this coupon."

I work in retail -- and customers use these techniques on me all the time.

They haven't done anything wrong - its annoying but you should always check before claiming a discount - there are always terms and conditions.

Its the same with almost any discount deal - most 2 for 1 meal deals are only valid Monday to Thursday for example - entriely reasonable as they use them to attract customers at quiter times.

Archived