Misleading advertising question

They haven't done anything wrong - its annoying but you should always check before claiming a discount - there are always terms and conditions.

Its the same with almost any discount deal - most 2 for 1 meal deals are only valid Monday to Thursday for example - entriely reasonable as they use them to attract customers at quiter times.

I thought all advertising had to be clear and if there are terms and conditions they needed to make this part of the advert. The shop in question has no mention of any terms and the only text on the window states a 20% student discount, that's all.

Can you give an example of an advert where there are no terms and conditions? I know I cant. Your example would say, somewhere that the deal is only valid on specific days. This can be the actual terms or a reference to another source for the full terms and conditions. This shop has nothing of the sort on their advert.

Noting to stop you naming and shaming at college or uni is there, word soon gets round, stick it on fecalbook.

Thats not a bad idea and I have made a few people aware. I suspect they will end up losing more trade through their high charges with the now much cheaper alternative not that far away. Its a shame as they know full well they are the only shop catering to students in a student area of Sheffield and all it would take is some small letters with Mon-Fri at the bottom of the advert.

The funny thing is, they do make you aware on their website, this reading; 20% Student Discount (concessions do not apply on Saturdays). But they fail to do so on their shop front, so passing trade is unaware of these conditions.

Archived