Giving Coffee to a 4 Year Old Boy

Would you give a 4 y.o. coffee?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give a 4 y.o. coffee?

• Of course, it's only a drink
    • No, It's bonkers

Is there absolutely no decision made by a parent that is not subject to public debate by people who do not even know the child?

I think fizzy drinks full of sugar or, even worse, artificial sweeteners are the work of the devil, but I would not dream of inviting total strangers to comment on the fact that someone I know lets their child drink this stuff. I also think that Calpol is given far too readily, but I am aware that many parents feel it would be cruel to let their child suffer when a miracle cure is readily available.

If I get the most votes, does my way become the only way for all of you to raise your children?

I used to drink coffee as a kid. Can't stand the taste of it as an adult.

Same with tea... the amount of funny looks I get when asked "tea or coffee?" and I reply "neither - don't like the taste of them", some people seem to find it incomprehensible that it's possible to go through a day at work without at least 15 mugs of tea.

Really? I think you'll find it's not. After an 18 hour shift of work, a can of red bull gives me, if not wings, an almighty kick up the rear end, and I forget how tired I was. Same with my collegues.

Besides, it's a proven FACTUAL FACT. Caffeine is a stimulant, increasing alertness, heart rate and various other psyological factors which could be described as making you hyper.

I like Red Bull but the after taste can be rather nasty an hour or so after.

It's the two sugars that are the real problem - sugar is just rubbish and "empty calories" I don't think she should be giving the 4-year old coffee either - as others have said, it's a stimulant. Kids of that age should not need a stimulant - they're active enough. What's wrong with giving the kid just a drink of milk, or water? - even weak tea with no sugar (or very little) would be better.

Is there absolutely no decision made by a parent that is not subject to public debate by people who do not even know the child?

I think fizzy drinks full of sugar or, even worse, artificial sweeteners are the work of the devil, but I would not dream of inviting total strangers to comment on the fact that someone I know lets their child drink this stuff. I also think that Calpol is given far too readily, but I am aware that many parents feel it would be cruel to let their child suffer when a miracle cure is readily available.

If I get the most votes, does my way become the only way for all of you to raise your children?

Of course not; you'd be ascribing far too much power to SF if you thought that. The OP is, I think, just looking for reassurance that he isn't the only one who thinks that giving coffee to a four year old is stupid. He isn't.

My sister-in-law has started to give her 4 y.o. son coffee. He likes it sweet, with two sugars, and has lots of milk to keep it cool.

Am I alone in finding this madness? Tell me I'm not alone!

I don't see a problem with it.

What are your concerns, what do you give your children to drink?

My Brother and my Sister in law don't drink coffee, they do drink tea though, but as far as I know they don't give my 4 year old nephew or my 15 month old niece either.

I used to drink coffee as a kid. Can't stand the taste of it as an adult.

Besides, it's a proven FACTUAL FACT. Caffeine is a stimulant, increasing alertness, heart rate and various other psyological factors which could be described as making you hyper.

Amen brother! Or sister. I had irresponsible parents who, with the other irresponsible parents were off acting like randy teenagers. We drank (and smoked) anything the grownups left lying around. I tried to drink coffee because all the adults did it. Yuck. I never did like the taste of it and won't touch it today. Cinnamon tea for me. And water. I drink water all day long. And I want another chance to be a kid.

Our neighbor's insane daughter in law used to take her three young (under 5) kids to McDonalds and let them each get one of those barrel sized full sugar sodas because it was cheap. The kids could hardly lift them. She was mystified because the little darlings wouldn't eat, sleep, or come down from orbit till 3 AM.

My kids drank the occasional sugary soda at a birthday party, but mostly skim milk (after age 2) and water. Starting when she was in middle school, my daughter drank coffee occasionally, my son still won't touch it. I was more concerned about their teeth than their weight.

I really think it's better not to let kids develop a taste for sugar and caffeine. They don't have the body mass of adults and their brains are still developing.

Of course not; you'd be ascribing far too much power to SF if you thought that. The OP is, I think, just looking for reassurance that he isn't the only one who thinks that giving coffee to a four year old is stupid. He isn't.

I think you are more upset by the fact it isnt fair trade.

It's the two sugars that are the real problem

I presume it's the sugar he likes, otherwise not many 4 year olds have a taste for coffee. None of mine ever did, anyway.

what do you give your children to drink?

Like any sensible parents, they're allowed water, the occasional soft drink, and a Gin 'n' Tonic at the weekends.

I presume it's the sugar he likes, otherwise not many 4 year olds have a taste for coffee. None of mine ever did, anyway.

Like any sensible parents, they're allowed water, the occasional soft drink, and a Gin 'n' Tonic at the weekends.

You gave your kids coffee? :nono:

Archived