Giving Coffee to a 4 Year Old Boy

Would you give a 4 y.o. coffee?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give a 4 y.o. coffee?

• Of course, it's only a drink
    • No, It's bonkers

When I first thought about it I was on the 'no' side, however, my parents used to give me tea and coffee when I was a child and it never did me any harm. 1/2 spoon coffee / 1/2 spoon sugar / milk or milky tea with 1/2 spoon sugar.

I certainly never used to bounce off the walls!

My 3 year old keeps asking for coffee, which O don't want to give her, but she sees us drinking it, and wants it.

So, I give her a cup of very milky coffee, with no sugar. Shes not particularly keen, but drinks it. If it was cola or orange, she would want another cup soon after, but one nasty bitter coffee is enough. Hopefully I'm doing her a favour, she'll either not drink it at all as an adult, or be used to drinking it unsweetened.

I drink copius amounts of coffee myself and the odd red bull, which in my opnion does nothing to give me energy.I think have have caffeine running through my veins not blood,dont suppose milky sweet coffee would harm the child in anyway.. Thats just my opinion, others might think different.

Can't see anything wrong with that at all - am I missing something?

From NHS website:

Tea and coffee

Tea and coffee contain caffeine, which is a stimulant. This means caffeine can temporarily make us feel more alert or less drowsy. Caffeine affects some people more than others, and the effect can depend on how much caffeine you normally consume.

It’s fine to drink tea and coffee as part of a balanced diet. But it's important that tea, coffee or other drinks containing caffeine are not your only source of fluid.

Pregnant women should limit their intake of tea or coffee (see below). Neither tea nor coffee are suitable drinks for toddlers and young children.

Caffeinated drinks can also make the body produce more urine. Some people are more susceptible to this than others, but it also depends on how much caffeine you have and how often you have it.

My sister-in-law has started to give her 4 y.o. son coffee. He likes it sweet, with two sugars, and has lots of milk to keep it cool.

Am I alone in finding this madness? Tell me I'm not alone!

Madness? Absolutely.

Are you alone? Absolutely not!

My kids were all weaned on Douwe Egberts with a nip of Glen Morangie as an essential addition, anything less would be child neglect ;)

• 7 months later...
My 3 year old keeps asking for coffee, which O don't want to give her, but she sees us drinking it, and wants it.

So, I give her a cup of very milky coffee, with no sugar. Shes not particularly keen, but drinks it. If it was cola or orange, she would want another cup soon after, but one nasty bitter coffee is enough. Hopefully I'm doing her a favour, she'll either not drink it at all as an adult, or be used to drinking it unsweetened.

I think that giving nasty bitter coffee to your child is an offence. Perhaps some fresh roasted guatamalan instead?

normally in a coffee shop, we just give kids frothy milk in a coffee cup with chocolate sprinkles on top and that seems to shut them up.

i'm generally not bothered about parents giving kids coffee. there's far worse stuff i see going on. however, i did have a lady several months ago who ordered a small cappuccino (normally 2 shots) and asked for an extra shot. she gave this drink to her 6 year old who was already bouncing off the walls.

for me, the real question is this - coffee won't kill children, but do we need to waste good coffee on them in the first place? and do we not think that parents should be a bit more like "NO YOU CAN't DRINK THIS!" since they control what their children consume in the first place. I see plenty of parents who could do with growing some balls

My sister-in-law has started to give her 4 y.o. son coffee. He likes it sweet, with two sugars, and has lots of milk to keep it cool.

Am I alone in finding this madness? Tell me I'm not alone!

Caffeine is really bad for you and its addictive. I don't know why anyone would give it to a child...but then I think that about maccy d's.

It appears it’s not as bad as one might think.

A growing body of research shows that coffee drinkers, compared to non-drinkers, are less likely to have type 2 diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and dementia. It's also suggested that coffee drinkers have fewer cases of certain cancers, heart rhythm problems and strokes.

Is Coffee Good for Kids?

According to one researcher – Dr. Tomas DePaulis – many parents who keep their kids as far away from coffee as possible could be wrong. He says coffee isn’t that bad for kids and, like in adults, it can help improve concentration and may help children do a little better on tests for this reason.

In an interesting finding from Brazil, kids who drink coffee with milk are less likely to have depression than other children.

Archived