Giving Coffee to a 4 Year Old Boy

Would you give a 4 y.o. coffee?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give a 4 y.o. coffee?

• Of course, it's only a drink
    • No, It's bonkers

Might as well give it Red Bull.

The only things kids that age should be drinking is water, fruit juice and milk.

They shouldn't be taking drugs that alter their brain state IMO, and caffeine will certainly do that.

Why not? Get it hyperactive then you've got an excuse to give it a crack.

A single anecdote is still meaningless, so are five or ten anecdotes.

Indeed, a twin study would be the best way to do it.

That's simply not true, the medical consensus seems to be that it's probably harmful for children.

The evidence I’ve seen suggests it’s OK in moderation and may have some health benefits and that its generally only a problem if they drink excessive amounts, obviously if they drink coffee they shouldn’t drink other caffeinated drinks.

The evidence I’ve seen suggests it’s OK in moderation and may have some health benefits and that its generally only a problem if they drink excessive amounts, obviously if they drink coffee they shouldn’t drink other caffeinated drinks.

Some links to studies or medical professionals saying this?

My sister-in-law has started to give her 4 y.o. son coffee. He likes it sweet, with two sugars, and has lots of milk to keep it cool.

Am I alone in finding this madness? Tell me I'm not alone!

The sugar is where she's really going wrong; it will do a great deal of harm.

Already provided... Perhaps read the thread...

I did and it didn't say drinking it in moderation was bad and only suggested drinking too much could cause some problems. One of the problems for kids is that it cuts calcium absorption which is why I suggested drinking it made with milk and not water.

Archived