Rape now an excuse for rioting

Neither you nor we can know if she's telling the truth or lying. It must be one or other. Let's wait and see, shall we.

I haven't stated anywhere that I believe her, what I have done is criticised the default position of those who start throwing around 'false rape' allegations.

I haven't stated anywhere that I believe her, what I have done is criticised the default position of those who start throwing around 'false rape' allegations.

I agree. No-one should start criticising anyone unless/until all salient facts are known.

So she (the complainant)- not having proven anything- ought not to rely too much on her allegations as a defence to the charge of riot (or whatever she is alleged to have done).

The men have not been named. Why would I stand up for them until she says that she's lying and they've been named?

what has the mans name got to do with it? Why does this make him any less innocent? Given your position, any minor accused of a crime would receive less support.

the mans name means nothing and knowing it does not condemn or exonerate the accused or change the accusation. In actual fact the name has not been released by the woman and her reasons are yet to be reported.

you must admit, her actions are not conducive to a favorable response by anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Why assume she's making up the rape claim? It's established that she had severe mental health problems and was suicidal. It's only because of that that she met the rioters in the first place, through a fellow patient in a mental health outpatients unit.

By totally sidelining the mental health and rape aspects and taking the "haha look at the stupid rich girl" line, the media have done a perfect character assassination on a vulnerable person and to see people revelling in her being found guilty is disgusting.

Why assume she's making up the rape claim? It's established that she had severe mental health problems and was suicidal. It's only because of that that she met the rioters in the first place, through a fellow patient in a mental health outpatients unit.

By totally sidelining the mental health and rape aspects and taking the "haha look at the stupid rich girl" line, the media have done a perfect character assassination on a vulnerable person and to see people revelling in her being found guilty is disgusting.

That's true but I'm sure all that has been looked at by the court. Sentencing has not happenned yet and if all that is true then she should be given a light sentence even a caution.

Whatever the reasons if she's guilty, she's guilty. Its up to the judge to show discretion when sentencing if there are mitigating circumstances.

If there's any progress to be made at increasing the number of men sentenced for rape then women have to play their part and stop discrediting the whole process by making false allegations and using the issue as an excuse, as this girl is alledged, on here, to have..

There seems to be an opinion amongst some that an accusation is the hard part over with and the conviction should follow. If there's no evidence, its usually one word against an other, then the accused should be freed, as he would be in any other crime...

Odd that then, for the metro would omit part of a story in one form of distribution but report it in another.

I'm more inclined to look for the obvious answer, that being you are making another flippant comment and cannot substantiate it like the troll you are.

Correctomundo.

I see Mecky's running true to form.

Surely that is totally contradictory? In saying that it is is pitiful to cite rape as mitigation, the OP is indeed downplaying the effect that rape can have and indeed doubting the veracity of her claim.
She's a mentally unstable self-harmer, it's not exactly a great leap to suspect that she's also likely to have a bit of an imagination and may well be lying about the rape.

But set that aside - let's assume she was raped. Is that an excuse for going out and rioting?

• 1 month later...

Archived