Porters and nurses

The sign doesn't say nurses cant lift patients but says we ask that the patient keeps as much autonomy as they can in order to save nurses backs. Plus there are now aids to help them e.g hoists. Autonomy is a big factor in nursing and they encourage it at all times in order for the patient to gain a quicker recovery

As ever, the rules and regs are not written up by people who have any particular knowledge of the work itself. In this case nurses have no option but to adhere to the rules and in this litigous day and age if anything did happen to injure or cause discomfort to a patient it's the NHS that foot the bill.

Many patients resist being moved for a number of reasons, the elderly feel insecure and unsteady, one nurse may well lose grip hence the need for two.

Friends and relatives could do more harm than good by moving a patient and again the responsibility will fall on the NHS.

@Balpin; Porters do more than wheel dead people around.

I know I said that was the worst job.

They also do a lot of standing about chatting, and generally being uncooperative.

Of course nurses lift. However, there's every need to protect nurses from injury. My neighbour, who is a nurse, has just undergone spinal surgery & will be off work for 8 weeks - the surgery was for repair to an injury caused by continual lifting.

If lifting can be avoided, all the better & if mechanical aids can be brought in, that too will help.

Having been through lifting & handling training myself, for toileting vulnerable adults, I can tell you at first hand about the personal injury problems which result. I no longer lift people & couldn't anyway after back strain.

Don't have a go at the nurses, for heaven's sake. You'll need them yourself one day.

You don't know really though do you, this is just one of your random tirades with no forethought.

I do know, I am M&E Supervisor in one of the largest hospitals in the area.

My people are as bright as buttons, the average porter is lazy and indolent.

Then again on band 2 who wouldnt be?

As ever, the rules and regs are not written up by people who have any particular knowledge of the work itself. In this case nurses have no option but to adhere to the rules and in this litigous day and age if anything did happen to injure or cause discomfort to a patient it's the NHS that foot the bill.

Many patients resist being moved for a number of reasons, the elderly feel insecure and unsteady, one nurse may well lose grip hence the need for two.

Friends and relatives could do more harm than good by moving a patient and again the responsibility will fall on the NHS.

@Balpin; Porters do more than wheel dead people around.

They also wheel alive people around :D

i was only asking because after listening to an elderly patient in the hallamshire hospital the other day who was asking for help to be moved from bed to wheelchair to go for a scan and crying out in pain, was told she would have to do it herself because he wasn't allowed too because of health and safety rules. i just wondered if this was correct or not.

Archived