Porters and nurses

My wifes an RNLD, always has and always will lift people when she physically can, but she's not stupid and if needs a lifter she'll use one.

She's also built like a Russian weight lifter :)

Nurses deserve medals, most of the ones I've known anyway.

Totally agree with you. I was in for two weeks and didn't see one scowl or hear one annoyed word .. nd believe me, there was a man in the next bay efffing and blinding at them .. And their reply was, we're only trying to help. I nearly got up and slapped him one.

I do know, I am M&E Supervisor in one of the largest hospitals in the area.

My people are as bright as buttons, the average porter is lazy and indolent.

Then again on band 2 who wouldnt be?

Ok so not all porters which you kiiiiiiiiind of implied.

i was only asking because after listening to an elderly patient in the hallamshire hospital the other day who was asking for help to be moved from bed to wheelchair to go for a scan and crying out in pain, was told she would have to do it herself because he wasn't allowed too because of health and safety rules. i just wondered if this was correct or not.

I think the sensible thing to do is not listen to speculation, especially from an elderly person who sometimes don't quite get it right.

When my Mum was in Northern General, there was a notice over the bed explaining why nurses couldn't lift patients up the beds (bad backs etc.)

My Mum spent a good deal of her time scrunched up at the bottom of the slope and uncomfortable because of this rule. As for meal times, nobody helped her to sit up, so she couldn't eat. When she was moved it had to be by two nurses together, (all 6 stone of her,,,) so it didn't happen very often.

When we tried to move her, we were told off because 'we hadn't been trained.'

She also had to wait nearly a week for a special inflatable mattress to ease her bedsores even though she was in agony.

A very unhappy time.

I can't comment on the rest of your post but the part about 2 nurses being needed to lift her even though she is light is right- and it is for the protection or the patient as well as the staff doing the lifting.

I do know, I am M&E Supervisor in one of the largest hospitals in the area.

My people are as bright as buttons, the average porter is lazy and indolent.

Then again on band 2 who wouldnt be?

That's not very professional is it?!

I think the sensible thing to do is not listen to speculation, especially from an elderly person who sometimes don't quite get it right.

Unlike non-elderly people who are right 100% of the time? :rolleyes:

Archived