Why are the poor being targeted.

Thats a brilliant idea Conrod, lets pay the workers so little that they have to live on a bowl of gruel a day, that will encourage them to work harder and step up the ladder to enjoy the luxury of bread and jam...

your logic is mystifying.

Perhaps they could start on bread and jam and aspire to better? The lower classes are overpaid, or they wouldn't be able to afford cigarettes and beer.

I see this topic has got the self righteous bride out in force again.

Beer ,spirits,tobacco,fuel are all luxury items now ,not because of their intrinsic cost but because of the excise duty.

Tobacco and fuel taxes are ridiculously high,but will go higher because of the twin moral crusades on health and a greener world.

Alcohol tax which is lagging behind at the moment,presumably because of strong lobbying from the producers will accelerate in the same way as tobacco taxation has done.

After all it does cost at least asmuch to the health service as baccy,and the damage to innocent third parties is far greater.

It's not the poor that are under threat,it's the average working person who is having their daily pleasures taken away and their daily necessities i.e,housing,travel,heating,food becoming luxuries.

I will never vote for the Tories because I have nothing in common with them.this doesn't mean to say that I had any time for New Labour which was just a device to wrest power from a conservative government that had run its course.

I am longing for a party with politicians of some stature who have a morality and social conscience.

Perhaps they could start on bread and jam and aspire to better? The lower classes are overpaid, or they wouldn't be able to afford cigarettes and beer.

What's it to you if they do enjoy a smoke & drink? Life's shatty enough for some people at the bottom of the pile - many of whom have have 2 or 3 jobs just to make ends meet :rant:

I don't want to sound disrespectful but are you trolling or have you had an empathy bypass?

Alcohol duty revenue was £14,600million in 2009.

Do I take your arguement to be that, assuming the figures quoted are correct, it is better to continue to permit people to drink and smoke consequently ruining their health because the exchequer takes in more tax from them than the NHS spends in treating them?

If I am correct in deducing this it seems a logical conclusion to legalise all drugs such as Heroin, Cocaine etc, place tax upon them.

Is this your position?

What's it to you if they do enjoy a smoke & drink? Life's shatty enough for some people at the bottom of the pile - many of whom have have 2 or 3 jobs just to make ends meet :rant:

I don't want to sound disrespectful but are you trolling or have you had an empathy bypass?

The contributors empathy is surely shown by the concern they have for the health welfare and wellbeing of those who smoke or abuse alchohol.

Many of who you call life's under achievers often work a hell of a lot harder than those who command a high salary. I know, I've seen both sides.

And perhaps if life's under achievers were paid a fair day's pay for their work then the tax payer wouldn't have to step in and top their wages up with rebates and allowances.

don't kid yourself. the vast majority of under achievers who I have met have been workshy at worst and unmotivated at best, while those who are reaping the rewards of a high paid job either worked their backsides off to get an education or in later life worked their way up through hard graft.

If you are an underachiever, its your own fault, disregarding any cognitive disability, our education system and partial meritocracy enable anyone to rise to the very top of our society, excluding becoming the monarch. There is no excuse.

don't kid yourself. the vast majority of under achievers who I have met have been workshy at worst and unmotivated at best, while those who are reaping the rewards of a high paid job either worked their backsides off to get an education or in later life worked their way up through hard graft.

If you are an underachiever, its your own fault, disregarding any cognitive disability, our education system and partial meritocracy enable anyone to rise to the very top of our society, excluding becoming the monarch. There is no excuse.

What you've offered is not an explanation but justification for the appaling gap between rich and poor; and is as self serving as the idea that to motivate rich people you need to give them the carrott, but to motivate poor people you need to give them the stick.

That social mobility has decreased in recent years rather than increased is evidence of the corrosive impact of inequality.

Archived