Twitter racist jailed

There is free speech, if this particular individual hadn't added the racist element to cause widespread offence he would still be Tweeting today.

No there isn't free speech.

Free speech means people can say all kinds of crazy, controversial and offensive things, thats exactly how free speech works.

Compare and contrast:

“A student who admitted posting racially offensive comments on Twitter about footballer Fabrice Muamba has been jailed for 56 days. Swansea University student Liam Stacey, 21, from Pontypridd, admitted inciting racial hatred over remarks about the Bolton Wanderers player, who collapsed during a FA Cup tie at Tottenham.”

“A Muslim extremist who burned replica poppies on the anniversary of Armistice Day has been fined £50 after being found guilty of a public order offence.

Emdadur Choudhury, 26, a member of Muslims Against Crusades (MAC), was guilty of a "calculated and deliberate" insult to the dead and those who mourn them when he burned two large plastic poppies during a two-minute silence on November 11,”

We are all equal under the law. Really?

Which one caused more widespread offence?

Whilst I have every sympathy for the footballer and his family, the young man is now on the mend, whereas 400+ families have buried what was left of their offspring.

That seems to have been forgotten by a judiciary that seem only too keen to be swayed by the “karaoke sympathy” that has been expressed endlessly by the media since Muamba’s collapse. BBC Radio 5 don’t seem to have been able to let five minutes pass without mentioning it.

Compare and contrast:

“A student who admitted posting racially offensive comments on Twitter about footballer Fabrice Muamba has been jailed for 56 days. Swansea University student Liam Stacey, 21, from Pontypridd, admitted inciting racial hatred over remarks about the Bolton Wanderers player, who collapsed during a FA Cup tie at Tottenham.”

“A Muslim extremist who burned replica poppies on the anniversary of Armistice Day has been fined £50 after being found guilty of a public order offence.

Emdadur Choudhury, 26, a member of Muslims Against Crusades (MAC), was guilty of a "calculated and deliberate" insult to the dead and those who mourn them when he burned two large plastic poppies during a two-minute silence on November 11,”

We are all equal under the law. Really?

Which one caused more widespread offence?

Whilst I have every sympathy for the footballer and his family, the young man is now on the mend, whereas 400+ families have buried what was left of their offspring.

That seems to have been forgotten by a judiciary that seem only too keen to be swayed by the “karaoke sympathy” that has been expressed endlessly by the media since Muamba’s collapse. BBC Radio 5 don’t seem to have been able to let five minutes pass without mentioning it.

They don't appear to be the same offence. Maybe the comparison should be instead given to the infamous 'woman on the train'

No there isn't free speech.

Free speech means people can say all kinds of crazy, controversial and offensive things, thats exactly how free speech works.

Yep, that's the kind of free speech I want and it's the sort they have in America, hence the Westboro Baptists that someone linked to above.

I really don't think a racist tweet should be a police matter. It wouldn't be in the USA.

There have been a number of cases recently where individuals trolled, leaving vile messages on 'in memoriam' sites set up to commemorate the recently dead. Such messages cause huge offence to the bereaved, and in the cases I've read about those found guilty have recieved a custodial sentence.

I agree with a jail term as I can't imagine how hurtful it must be to relatives reading such filth, IMO psychological torment is often worse than being physically attacked . Those responsible are social retards probably in need of some sort of therapy.

Yep, that's the kind of free speech I want and it's the sort they have in America, hence the Westboro Baptists that someone linked to above.

I really don't think a racist tweet should be a police matter. It wouldn't be in the USA.

Yeah, those Westboro Baptists are such a good example of why our law is better.

Archived