Twitter racist jailed

I read the story in the telegraph, the only comment that was quoted made no mention of race... I notice though that he plead guilty, rather than using a defence of there being no racism element to his comments...

The charge seemed to be "inciting racial hatred".

The news sites aren't repeating the worst of his tweets - but they are available to view here. It goes without saying that there is some extreme language on there.

His first tweet was in bad taste, but when challenged he responded repeatedly with racist threats and insults. It is these responses that have landed him inside, not the initial tweet.

Now ask yourself, if this had been said about joe bloggs off arbourthorne instead of this football guy would the response have been as swift and harsh?

No it wouldn't - by commenting on what was at the time the most popular 'trend' on twitter, thousands of people immediately saw what he said and many challenged him about it - those people simply wouldn't have seen his tweets had they been directed at 'joe bloggs'.

I do think it he should have been arrested, kicked out of uni and punished. Its clear that he did commit a public order offence and that despite his pathetic back tracking, that he holds some obnoxious and racist views.

However I'm not convinced that jailing him is appropriate - I would rather have seen some kind of community order being served.

The news sites aren't repeating the worst of his tweets - but they are available to view here. It goes without saying that there is some extreme language on there.

His first tweet was in bad taste, but when challenged he responded repeatedly with racist threats and insults. It is these responses that have landed him inside, not the initial tweet.

If everyone who used the C word, and various racist epithets on twitter was arrested then the prisons would need expanding I expect...

Archived