Price of first class stamps to go up 30%

A first-class stamp will rise in price from 46p to 60p from 30 April after the regulator lifted some price controls on Royal Mail.

The 30% price rise in first-class stamps, and 39% rise for second-class, mark record annual increases. Ten years ago, a first-class stamp cost 27p, and a second-class cost 19p.

Better start bulk buying before the costs soar even more.

Doesn't really matter.

I don't know if I'm in the real world or not but, I send a letter maybe...1 or 2 times a year, and every pretty much company uses free-post.

It's not going to affect me.

Everyone uses e-mail now anyway and that's free, there's no need for paper mail.

Why exactly are people complaining in my question?

A first-class stamp will rise in price from 46p to 60p from 30 April after the regulator lifted some price controls on Royal Mail.

The 30% price rise in first-class stamps, and 39% rise for second-class, mark record annual increases. Ten years ago, a first-class stamp cost 27p, and a second-class cost 19p.

Better start bulk buying before the costs soar even more.

I think stamps should be a pound each now, people don't send letters like they use to and when you do look what you get for the price, you can send a letter from one end of the country to the other for just one pound, post offices are closing down, posties are loosing their jobs all because of technology , there's always FedEx ,ups for other things

... there's always FedEx ,ups for other things

That's the major problem. Other companies can undercut the Royal Mail on high-volume routes, and decline to take, or charge enormous amounts, for the expensive low-volume journeys such as an occasional postcard from the Isly of Skye going to Colchester. The Royal Mail is obliged to take all mail - which, in practice, means it only gets the non-high-volume, unprofitable routes, because it's been undercut on all the other ones.

I don't know if I'm in the real world or not but, I send a letter maybe...1 or 2 times a year, and every pretty much company uses free-post.

You do realise don't you that companies have to pay to enable them to provide a free-post service.

You do realise don't you that companies have to pay to enable them to provide a free-post service.

I do realise that, you do realise that they get a heavily discounted rate.

But that's besides the point, how often do you buy and use stamps? If it's any more than...5 times in a year, you need to discover e-mail.

There's always a massive thing in the news about postage going up and I'm like, you can get an object from one side of the country to another in less than a day for 60p, why are you complaining.

Also, the savings by use of franked post will become greatly enhanced.

Current: the 46p/36p rates fall to 39p/28p [saving 7p/8p].

From 30 April: the 60p/50p rates fall to 44p/31p [saving 16p/19p]!

Reason: competitors such as 'Business Post' and 'UK Mail', seeking to capture business mailings.

So don't post stamped envelopes into pillar box. Instead, go to local business and ask it to frank your post (on being reimbursed the much lower franked rates plus a bit extra for the favour)

So that's the decisions made for Christmas and Birthdays, they're getting emails, phone calls and visits instead.

Excellent, I don't have to worry about getting any cards now.

Well done royal mail, if you wanted to put yourselves out of business then you are going the right way about it.

What's this bit all about:

Royal Mail said that the cost of posting Christmas cards in 2012 will be the same as last year for consumers on Pension Credit and Employment and Support Allowance or Incapacity Benefit.

Why should they get any discount? Last time I was on the dole I didn't fritter money away on Christmas Cards.

Archived