Anyone been on holiday to Moscow?

Has anyone been on holiday to Moscow? There's a group of 4-5 of us wanting to go in July but we want some more information before booking it.

Is it really expensive? What's the night life like(super clubs)? Decent hotels? And any other general info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

It is now horrendously expensive, and with the exception of Red Square and the surrounding area it is pretty much just another Euro-city with McDonalds, Starbucks, Pizza etc.

The night life is pretty good, but you need to be careful about where you go.

My advice would to be to try St. Petersburg (if you set upon going to Russia), or consider Kiev, Tallin or Riga.

Are some of the night clubs lets just say, a bit on the dodgy side?

My mates are more set on going to Russia than I am, so I'm just researching it first and wanted peoples experiences.

Money isn't really that much of an issue but at around £200 a night minimum will work out quite expensive over 7 days, not including flights and hotel. So I just want to know that it's going to be worth it.

How do the places you stated compare to Moscow?

Thanks

Yes, some of the night clubs are extremely dodgy, you'd be well advised to avoid them unless you're with some locals.

The ones that are OK for Westerners really know how to charge £10 a pint is not unusual.

St. Peters berg is not quite as commercial and the Hermitage is breathtaking.

Kiev is a lot less changed, post-communism than Moscow.

Tallin and Riga are both beautiful and a bit more laid back.

You could also consider Romania, Bulgaria and Hungary if you want to go the a former Eastern Bloc country.

Thank you for the suggestions Frededwards, will definitely look into those. I am leaning more towards Bulgaria but everyone else is set on Moscow!

Believe it or not Mr Soft we won't be going to cause a war ;). I'm sure we'll come back with warm feet thanks.

I think the Visa application may put you off, unless, I think, you go on a package tour.

Tallinn is nice, especially in the early summer, as it stays light almost through the night.

Riga, while nice, does have more stag party groups.

Consider Lithuania, Klaipeda on the coast, or Vilnius.

Can't recommend it enough, fantastic place. No trouble at all really, certainly did not feel threatening in anyway. Don't bother taking photos at the underground stations though.

I would say though that our idea of 4* and theirs has little correlation. We stayed in a top business hotel which was quite dull (maybe the sauna facilities made it more appealing to some), but also in a hostel which was amazing. I did not notice that it was expensive, I ate and drank in local places not Starbucks and the like.

It will be an experience, enjoy :)

Archived