What is 'social protection'?

A friend on Facebook has been reading up on the budget. He has found that the government are spending £207 BILLION this year, on 'social protection'.

However, there is no further reference to it in the rest of the budget, and it is not broken down or explained, so does anyone have an idea what it is to clarify it? :)

Have you tried looking it up on the internet?

I did, but it made little sense to me, I don't do jargon, and have conjunctivitis and can't read a lot, particularly if its not making sense, its painful. Then I found this

"Social protection, as defined by the United Nations Research Institute For Social Development, is concerned with preventing, managing, and overcoming situations that adversely affect people’s well being.[1] Social protection consists of policies and programs designed to reduce poverty and vulnerability by promoting efficient labor markets, diminishing people's exposure to risks, and enhancing their capacity to manage economic and social risks, such as unemployment, exclusion, sickness, disability and old age."

Which I had to laugh at, now what does it really mean? :suspect::hihi:

It's about meeting EU equality, poverty and social exclusion targets. It's an expensive business and you have to wonder if society as a whole really wants to spend to "diminish people's exposure to risk".

It's very much a left wing policy and it's surprising seeing the Tories subscribing to it, although they are probably obliged to under EU treaties.

Archived