Hosepipe ban or drought in South Yorkshire?

It's official, the EA have declared drought conditions in March, including for Sheffield.

From The Telegraph

The Environment Agency said drought conditions are being experienced by millions of people in the Yorkshire Water area, from Chesterfield up to Scarborough including Sheffield, Doncaster, Hull and Driffield.

The drought zone also includes important areas for wildlife, including the North York Moors National Park - famous for heavy rain and winter snow.

The last time there was a drought this early in the year in Yorkshire was more than a decade ago, with some parts of the region the driest they have ever been since 1910.

Drought status means water companies are more likely to start pumping water out of rivers to fill reservoirs and imposing hosepipe bans. However at the moment the biggest risk is to wildlife in the area such as wading birds, water voles, fish and rare water plants.

Environment Agency updates: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/drought/31749.aspx

I think you'll find it has been way to dry for months now, last proper water to come down was the snow if I remember correctly, so five days? Also, countries that are used to the dry don't grow things like potatoes and grain, we do here, guess what will happen to the food prices in the summer?

Currently the situation is not as the OP describes.

It shoud be:

There is a moderate risk of drought in parts of Yorkshire.

The map shows

Normal Risk: N England and Wales.

Moderate Risk ( of drought) : Sheffield, East Yorkshire and SW England

High Risk: Midlands S and SE England

It does not show that the majority of Sheffield water comes from north Yorkshire ( normal risk)and that the Resevoir levels for the Yorkshire Water are today at 93%

The Telegraph article continues by saying:

"....the Environment Agency said public water supplies were unlikely to be affected in the north..."

"Yorkshire Water said it did not anticipate any restrictions such as hosepipe bans at the moment"

Current weather trends may change these forcasts and it is sensible anyway to do the "water saving things".

Edited by Annie Bynnol

I think you'll find it has been way to dry for months now, last proper water to come down was the snow if I remember correctly, so five days? Also, countries that are used to the dry don't grow things like potatoes and grain, we do here, guess what will happen to the food prices in the summer?

Well im not an expert on how much weather we've had in the past few months, but last proper water to come down was constant heavy rain about a month ago on a Sunday. I remember because I refused to leave the house. Ha.

Yep, food prices will have to go up to compensate I would have thought. Hope not tho..

Ha ha give me a break, 5 days of sun and potential hosepipe bans. Im sure places such as Australia manage to survive these kind of issues..

But Australia is used to it. Most of my life was lived through 2 of the worst droughts in history.

SNOW! on the other hand...... Australians would be unprepared for that.

The English are much more prepared for snow than droughts.

Tips -

Use a bucket to wash your car

Don't water your garden in the middle of the day

Turn the tap off when brushing your teeth.

Don't leave the sink tap running while you run around the house collecting the dishes to rinse.