Shingles - how long it could last?

I've had shingles twice in the past 12 months.

It varies person to person, shingles though is from the same virus that causes chickenpox, and the virus can lay dormant for many years.

Shingles is a reactivation of the varicella zoster virus infection that causes chickenpox.

For some reason, often many years later, the virus travels back down one of the nerves to the skin, where it causes a rash in the area of skin supplied by that nerve.

It's not clear what triggers reactivation of the chickenpox virus but it may be linked to changes in the immune system such as an infection elsewhere in the body, or after physical or emotional shock. Ensuring your immune system is not weakened may help to prevent this occurring.

The skin blisters that form in shingles are full of the chickenpox virus, which means a person with shingles is infectious. You can catch chickenpox from someone with shingles, if you've never had the infection and therefore aren't immune. But you can't catch shingles from someone with shingles (or someone with chickenpox).

I was diagnosed with shingles but don't know anybody whom I can catch it from. It's very painful. What is your experience - how long it could last?

To my knowledge, you don't catch singles, as you need to have the dormant Chicken Pox virus in your system to get it.

I've heard stress can trigger it?

I had chickenpox in the childhood and I remember mum told me I was vaccinated too. Therefore it's mirracle to me

No, quite the reverse. The only people who can contract shingles are those who have previously had chickenpox; that means they're immune to further bouts of chickenpox, but the virus remains in the body throughout your life, and...

about month ago I had tooth problem which ended with it's extraction

....sometimes when the body's natural immune system is weakened by some event, the virus can flare up and cause shingles.

My partner recently had it. She was quite poorly for the first two weeks, feeling much better by the third and completely well again by the end of week four.

It's a nasty illness. Hope it doesn't last too long for you. Best advice I can offer is take plenty of analgesia, eat really well and get as much rest and sleep as you possibly can.

Archived