Sitting down can kill

The article said that sitting down for up to 11 hours a day can dramatically shorten your life and it goes on to say that over 70% of people die wile sitting down:shocked: I am not going sit in front of the TV tonight at all you could easily rack up 11 hours:o

This really worries me. I have M.E. and spend a great deal of time sitting/lying down. I've tried going to the gymn but it just wore me out and made me worse. I've also tried gently building up the amount I walk, but a relapse always puts me back to square one again.

I used to be very fit and active so this state of affairs really gets me down. Knowing I'm slowly killing myself doesn't help at all, but what can I do?

I wonder if they've established causation rather than just correlation? It's more likely that those who sit for 11 hrs a day get insufficient exercise and that this is the root cause of the mortality.

Unless it's about the deep vein thrombosis problem again. That definitely is caused by too much immobility in one fixed position - which, for most people, is going to be sitting down in a fixed position. But the risk of a DVT must surely be far smaller than the associated risks of not exercising that you mention here.

I strongly suspect, however, that what we have here is the same thing we always get with new scientific findings. The scientific report will say something along the lines of, "There is some evidence to suggest that sitting for excessive periods without changing position, or flexing muscles from time to time while seated, may lead to health problem X, as well as the already known risks associated with long periods of immobility" ... but by the time it reaches the newspapers it's transmogrified into "sitting down is bad for you!!!!"

Having been immobile for long periods of time, i know it's bad for me. I can feel it.

I saw a programme the other day about health and the possibility that 3 minutes a day of intense exercise could do as much good as a couple of hours twice a week. It was put to the test with scientifically measurable results. For some it worked for others it didn't, but the difference turned out to be that metabolic rate increased greatly in those that walked and stood much more than those who sat.

It convinced me. But I'm sure many people will be in occupations that require long periods of sitting.

It convinced me. But I'm sure many people will be in occupations that require long periods of sitting.

Very much so. Also - as with your own personal case - there will be many people for whom immobility is enforced, and trying to spend all their time active would do more harm than good. All of this will have been well discussed in the original report, but none of it makes for a good nerve-jangling headline, so it doesn't get mentioned in the popular press.

I think the increased risk of health issues if you sit down is probably counterbalanced by the fact that if you're sat down you're not going to die falling out of the window, or down the stairs.

Or any other of the ways that you can be killed by standing up.

I think the increased risk of health issues if you sit down is probably counterbalanced by the fact that if you're sat down you're not going to die falling out of the window, or down the stairs.

Or any other of the ways that you can be killed by standing up.

My first reaction to the title of the thread was 'So what, so can standing up', on balance though I think sitting down all day is not a good thing.

I'd rather be up and about having an increased risk of falling out of windows and under buses than sat in a chair waiting to die.

Archived