Sitting down can kill

I think the increased risk of health issues if you sit down is probably counterbalanced by the fact that if you're sat down you're not going to die falling out of the window, or down the stairs.

Or any other of the ways that you can be killed by standing up.

Do you think you could live longer if you stood up all the time like a sort of of opposite affect to sitting down:idea:

Having been immobile for long periods of time, i know it's bad for me. I can feel it.

I saw a programme the other day about health and the possibility that 3 minutes a day of intense exercise could do as much good as a couple of hours twice a week. It was put to the test with scientifically measurable results. For some it worked for others it didn't, but the difference turned out to be that metabolic rate increased greatly in those that walked and stood much more than those who sat.

It convinced me. But I'm sure many people will be in occupations that require long periods of sitting.

Even this is an example of the media dumbing down a report.

What it actually said was that some of the benefits could be gained. Specifically cardio vascular capacity. Other (commonly looked for benefits) can't be gained in that way, for example weight loss!

And the comparison was of 3 minutes of intense exercise to several hours of moderate exercise... You still benefit more if you do several hours of intense exercise (for example HIIT or anything similar).

The media should be punished when they misreport science.

Do you think you could live longer if you stood up all the time like a sort of of opposite affect to sitting down:idea:

If however you were moving instead of sitting down and this correlated with a general increase in your level of activity then yes, statistically speaking you should live longer. Of course we aren't statistics, even extremely fit professional footballers can have underlying heart problems for example.

Archived