Woman died after Muslim nurse refused to help as he was praying

Alzheimer's sufferer Dorothy Griffiths, 87, was found sitting down after staff heard a bang and a carer went to the office for help to lift her.

But agency nurse Abdul Bhutto, who was in charge, said they would have to wait.

Carer Zoe Shaw told the Sheffield hearing: "It took between five and ten minutes because he was praying upstairs in the office on his prayer mat. A staff member told me we had to wait for him to finish."

An ambulance was not called for nearly four hours after Mrs Griffiths fell from bed and cut her head and suffered a gash to her hip at the privately-run Valley Park Nursing Home in Wombwell, near Barnsley.

She died later in hospital. Mr Bhutto failed to appear at the inquest and a summons had to be issued for him to attend the resumed hearing later in the year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/9162051/Woman-died-after-Muslim-nurse-refused-to-help-as-he-was-praying.html

And Christian nurses can't even wear a crucifix.

:mad:

Can't see this post being on here much longer after the mods have seen it. They don't take kindly to people replying and stating their feeling when a member of the ethnic community is involved.

So as far as you're concerned this is all due to the nurse being muslim and nothing to do with the nurse showing a dereliction of his duty? This nurse was employed to do a job that he apparently was not doing properly, and it would have been unacceptable for him to have not acted whether he was having a sleep, outside having a cigarette or praying.

The issue is with the lack of care given to this lady, and I abhor the circumstances in which she died, but to say that the reason is the religion of the nurse in charge is a rather misleading one. There are plenty of nurses of all religions who care diligently for their patients; this one apparently had a major lapse in judgement with this and should be disciplined/censured/struck off after a full investigation and the same should apply whether it was found that he was praying, having a sleep or having any other sort of unplanned break on his employer's time.

I'm the ethnic minority here not this Muslim nurse!

You are renowned for being somewhat biased against Muslims though Ian.

Maybe you should try forgiveness? It is a wonderful thing and heals both party's. Maybe then you would see that there are good Muslims as well as bad ones, just a thought.

This newspaper article could easily be written to say "Woman dies after living 87 years" and be equally true. They've written the truth in such a way to say that the Muslim nurse must be at fault, he must be; he was praying at work!!

I'm no fan of Islam, but equally I'm no fan of bending pointless news stories to smear Islam. The woman also died after a carer ignored the advice of a trained medical professional - why didn't the telegraph go with that story?

Funny thing, the world of bias. We're all equally as guilty of it.

. The woman also died after ignoring the advice of a trained medical professional - why didn't the telegraph go with that story?

What advice did the Alzeimer's sufferer ignore? Genuine question 'cos I can't see it anywhere in the link..

Archived