River loxley today

grandadowl

the close season is there to allow fish to spawn and for the vegetation to recover. rivers don't get fished as much as they did so the banks don't need time to recover. when fish spawn all the fishery owner has to do is close it for 2 weeks as happens on some stillwaters. fish don't automatically spawn in this period, only when the water temperature is correct meaning the new season may have started when they do decide to spawn.

I also believe the close season is now a silly rule but its here to stay. The guys fishing are not hurting anything or anyone. If they want to risk getting caught and a hefty fine thats their choice but i'd never risk it. I'm a big believer that anglers on the bank will see pollution and poachers before anyone else catches them so believe the close season is now a load of rubbish, but don't start me on that one.

Archived