Any one go to Owler Lane Intermediate school

ALZYMER

That's a very long name. I think the comma escaped and ended-up at the end of the sentence. Now, if you had been to Owler Lane yourself, you would have known where to place it. Pop Gregory taught us everything, even the correct way to eat our dinner !

Just a bit of fun - don't take it to heart.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, I was at Owler Lane Sec. Inter. school 1955-1960. I recognize names like June Beardshaw, Margaret Thorpe possibly Ann Brammall and Norma Smith.

My name is David Parnham not sure if anyone will remember me.

Other names I remember are__ Brian Williamson, Barry Gray, George Firth ( spud), Keith Wiseman (Buzz), Ken Taylor, Bob Millward, Terry Stagg, Pamela Davies, Harry Nixon ,?? Longmore, Valerie Beech, Geoff Backhouse to name but a few.

Teachers like Smiler Harrison, Mr Pegg, Mr Board, Mr Lupton, Minnie Fairhurst, Whipcord Moss Jnr, and Moss senior.

Headteacher I remember was Pop Gregory.

We still live amongst them I am delighted and hope there are many more of us!!! Take care Parny

Hi parny

As you know I was at owler lane at the same and of course remember all those names My name is Ken Taylor others I remember are Bill Asquith, Mick Pears,and the girls Gill Hawksworth and her best mate I think her name was Pat ferguson both their parents had fish and chip shops in Woodseats.Also Lorraine Totty

Surprising how many of us from that same year went on to be police officers.

A few of us also played football and/or cricket for grimesthorpe boys club I remember Buzz Wiseman was our opening baller and batsman.No wonder we won the league so often.Apart from you I am not in contact with any of the others.Perhaps that might change.

Hi, I was at Owler Lane Sec. Inter. school 1955-1960. I recognize names like June Beardshaw, Margaret Thorpe possibly Ann Brammall and Norma Smith.

Other names I remember are__ Brian Williamson, Barry Gray, George Firth ( spud), Keith Wiseman (Buzz), Ken Taylor, Bob Millward, Terry Stagg, Pamela Davies, Harry Nixon ,?? Longmore, Valerie Beech, Geoff Backhouse to name but a few.

Teachers like Smiler Harrison, Mr Pegg, Mr Board, Mr Lupton, Minnie Fairhurst, Whipcord Moss Jnr, and Moss senior.

We still live amongst them I am delighted and hope there are many more of us!!! Take care Parny

I remember Spud selling programmes at Hillsborough. His pitch was at the bottom of the steps at the back of the Spion Kop.

Hi David, I worked with Bob Millward as a local government officer at the Sheffield town hall in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Presume it's the same Bob. Didn't know Bob during school days and we never discussed schools at work. I was at the secondary modern until leaving school in 1958.

regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Jim,

Did you also attend Owler Lane or did you meet Spud through Hillsborough ?

Any idea what ever happened to good old spud?

I don't live in Sheffield area now but I do have some family in the area. I moved to the Isle of Wight about 8 years ago.

My family paid and organized for me and my two youngest sons to go to Hillsborough to celebrate my 70th birthday. That was the last home game of the season against Bolton. I got my name on the electronic scoreboard and I am in the programme as well. Shame about the result, but I had a great weekend of surprises.

Thanks for replying

Regards

Parny (Dave Parnham)

---------- Post added 18-05-2014 at 18:38 ----------

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your comment, what has happened to Bob, any idea? As I remember, when we were at school and for about 6 years after, he lived somewhere in the Wincobank area .Never knew what he did for a job. He was pretty good at sport when we were at school, a bit quiet , tall, thin with dark hair.

Regards

Parny (Dave Parnham)

Hi Jim,

Did you also attend Owler Lane or did you meet Spud through Hillsborough ?

Any idea what ever happened to good old spud?

I don't live in Sheffield area now but I do have some family in the area. I moved to the Isle of Wight about 8 years ago.

My family paid and organized for me and my two youngest sons to go to Hillsborough to celebrate my 70th birthday. That was the last home game of the season against Bolton. I got my name on the electronic scoreboard and I am in the programme as well. Shame about the result, but I had a great weekend of surprises.

Thanks for replying

Regards

Parny (Dave Parnham)

Hello Dave,

I was in the first year in 1960/61. I think Spud was in the fifth year. I used to watch the lads from that year playing football with a tennis ball using the bike shed entrances as goals. Very entertaining it was. :)

Hi Jim,

That's interesting,I was part of the group that used to play football at the Earl Marshall Road end of the school. A group of us played between the outside wall and, I think, some toilets below the staff room. The sides of the "pitch" were the science lab and "the new block" at the infants schhol end of our school.

We had some great times , most of the players played for one of the school teams so intense rivalry prevailed. Many,many years ago but I remember it well. I do also remember Pop Gregory take great pride in reading out the reports of the school football matches, compiled by good old Spud. Happy days.

Good to hear from you Jim

Must talk again

Take care

Dave