Time & Date Formats

'Saurus, It makes sense.

Particularly in the IT age. You can time stamp documents and they can easily be sorted chronologically. Invaluable for gathering a load of customer correspondence into the order they were sent or received.

Now, if all you want to know is whether or not it is Tuesday, then use whatever you like.

Americans are so stupid with the date thing, it's like, units of time go in order.

Seconds, Minutes, Hours, Days, Months, Years.

Somewhere along the line, America's just done, "Nah we err...what's the point of it in order? Bit bored just, mash up the days init, if you want, want the month before the day now...lol"

So stupid, if you're going to do that, I'm just going to make my own combo up.

March/00:53/2012/Saturday

If you're going to balls it up, America, do it right.

Were you born that way, or did you practise? Come to America, try the logical way of operating a switch by pushing it down to turn off not up. try using 115volts so you can have nice tidy little plugs instead of those massive abortions you use, and you won't die if you accidently touch a mains.

Were you born that way, or did you practise? Come to America, try the logical way of operating a switch by pushing it down to turn off not up.

When you use a push button switch, which direction is the switch (normally) on? There's a bit of kit in front of me now with over 100 little push buttons, and every single on of them does nothing until I push it down...

try using 115volts so you can have nice tidy little plugs instead of those massive abortions you use, and you won't die if you accidently touch a mains.

240V power systems are cheaper, more reliable and generally safer than 110V (US style) systems (55-0-55 are far safer than either). 110V is more than enough to kill someone.

BS1363 13A plugs are big and bulky, but are the safest plugs in use on the planet, and are a direct cause of the reduction in electrical faults and accidents in the UK since their introduction.

When you use a push button switch, which direction is the switch (normally) on? There's a bit of kit in front of me now with over 100 little push buttons, and every single on of them does nothing until I push it down...

240V power systems are cheaper, more reliable and generally safer than 110V (US style) systems (55-0-55 are far safer than either). 110V is more than enough to kill someone.

BS1363 13A plugs are big and bulky, but are the safest plugs in use on the planet, and are a direct cause of the reduction in electrical faults and accidents in the UK since their introduction.

nowhere did I mention a button, I was talking about a light switch. A single button can toggle both functions depending on the logic circuitry behind it. 13A plugs often require connecting to a separate cable, sometimes by people not skilled enough to do the job. I can't remember ever having an unreliable american plug. I worked in electronics all my working life till I retired.

As far as I am aware with being a teaching assistant in some schools, the 12 hour clock is almost always used in class and is much easier to teach a kid of say 7 or 8 years old that 13:30 is 1:30 PM.

Hah. A child of 7 or 8 is now called "Year 12" or something- so who's confusing whom?

... the US rather annoyingly writes their dates back to front to us, which is fine for the latter half of the month when it's obvious it's the wrong way round, but is ambiguous for anything before the thirteenth of any month

But when listed alphanumerically their system groups by year and then sub-groups by month and then day, and then minutes and seconds if you desire.

Makes time sheets and such a doddle.

Archived