Old money.. question please

Anyway, what the heck do you need to know this for Ash?

Are you trying to work out how much the telly you've put in the classifieds was worth? :D

No. I have a beautiful old record player (not mine) in my possession. I posted about it in here before, it's a 1927 hand crafted Sheffield made record player.

I got it working, and it's absolutely beautiful, I can just imagine what it must have been like at the time to be brought into someone's home in 1927. Now we just take things for granted. I have loads of albums on my computer, and think nothing of listening through my 5 speaker surround sound. (I'm listening to Gosh It's at the mo, great album!!, it was my first album and I near wore it down to plain record on my old Dansetta!)

The website says it cost 11 Guineas. I just wondered what we would have to pay nowadays :)

I'm happy looking at cgs and HN adding to the thread. I know who I know know's their stuff :)

The website says it cost 11 Guineas. I just wondered what we would have to pay nowadays :)

It will, of course, most likely be worth even more than that for rarity value, if you were considering selling it or wondering if it needs to be listed separately for insurances purposes; but it is interesting to compare. It effectively means that this item cost about a month's wages to buy new!

Ah, when things were built to last :thumbsup:

I used to sell vacuum cleaners, and people would come in and moan about the ones that cost £200, then tell me they were replacing a Hoover Senior, which when we costed it out in real terms, had cost somebody about a month's wages way back when it was new! (They usually left with one of our £200 ones, which were the most expensive we sold at the time ;) )

So ..... if you consider that the item was something special, not mass produced for its time.

Say ... Like .... a bit of Bang & Olufsen or Bose today?

I know many a fool music aficionado that would pay between £500 & £1,500 for something to listen to music on.

So the estimates would not seem to be too implausible?

So ..... if you consider that the item was something special, not mass produced for its time.

Say ... Like .... a bit of Bang & Olufsen or Bose today?

I know many a fool music aficionado that would pay between £500 & £1,500 for something to listen to music on.

So the estimates would not seem to be too implausible?

I'm glad you and a few others appreciate the possible difficulty of the question.

I found an old copy of a Dixons mag when emptying my place, and the prices of TVs etc in 1984 were MORE than now (and I mean considerably more). It makes price comparisons quite difficult which is why I asked the question.

I tend to think of weeks work. (as my years ago housing thread was about - which came true as it happens). So for example how many 'tram driver' [for example] weeks wages would cover this record player in 1927. Of course that still doesn't work as they may have been well paid compared to now, or vice versa.

Of all the comments so far, I'd hazard a guess that these things weren't in the average person's home.

I'm glad you and a few others appreciate the possible difficulty of the question.

I found an old copy of a Dixons mag when emptying my place, and the prices of TVs etc in 1984 were MORE than now (and I mean considerably more). It makes price comparisons quite difficult which is why I asked the question.

I tend to think of weeks work. (as my years ago housing thread was about - which came true as it happens). So for example how many 'tram driver' [for example] weeks wages would cover this record player in 1927. Of course that still doesn't work as they may have been well paid compared to now, or vice versa.

Of all the comments so far, I'd hazard a guess that these things weren't in the average person's home.

11 guineas in 1927 was a substantial amount of money. It must be a high quality item and something very special to own then and now. And it still works!

The average minimum weekly wage for an agricultural worker in the 1920s was under two quid. Not many people would have owned such luxuries at that time.

Archived