Galloway wins Bradford West. Weird week for politics just got weirder

Guest sibon

I must admit to having a sneaking admiration for Gorgeous George, despite all of his obvious failings.

There is a lot of froth and bubble on this thread. I think that the result is great for our democracy. We really need characters to stand up at the moment and challenge the established parties.

Whilst Labour and the Tories believe that power will oscillate between them for decades to come, nothing will change. If they get a whiff of the fact that we are pretty dissatisfied with them and that we are willing to vote for alternatives, then they might just concentrate on winning our votes rather than waiting for them to fall into their laps.

To do that, we need more George Galloways and fewer Francis Maudes...

Hoooray, he;s just in time to say something flattering about Bashar al Assad, maybe saluting his enormous wang and it's incredibly phalic civilian slaughtering power..

Galoway is an egotistical asshat, the easily bribed muslims of Bradford voted this asshat in, lets give west bradford independance, make them part of scotland or helmad or basra.

for me the mystery is how all the news organisations missed this story in the run up to the poll.

he won by an absolute landslide. And yet I didn't even know he was standing in this by election. It wasn't reported at all.

possibly the political correspondents just assumed that he was dead and buried, having been soundly beaten in Poplar and Limehouse the last time he stood for Parliament in 2010.

We're all squirming Anna B; most of us are anyway, I think. I understand that you want things shaking up, and so do I, but at any price? Galloway will say things that MPs shouldn't and wouldn't, never mind daren't. Be careful what you wish for...

Yep, I have to agree with you. One George Galloway we can cope with, but if a succession of independent oddballs start getting elected we could be in even bigger trouble than we are now.

I'm all for independents but they have to be worthy, intelligent candidates with integrity and ability.

Be careful what you wish for indeed....

Hoooray, he;s just in time to say something flattering about Bashar al Assad, maybe saluting his enormous wang and it's incredibly phalic civilian slaughtering power..

Galoway is an egotistical asshat, the easily bribed muslims of Bradford voted this asshat in, lets give west bradford independance, make them part of scotland or helmad or basra.

Already done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3orFvKvTS3Y

"For me, he is the last Arab ruler" [for ruler, read vicious tyrannical dictator, somebody he can cosy up to]

"The reason that Syria is facing this crisis is not because of any bad thing which Syria has done or any weaknesses in its democracy, or within its economy, or within its human rights record"

Wow, what can you say to that, the guy is seriously deluded. Now endorsed by the people of Bradford.

--

for me the mystery is how all the news organisations missed this story in the run up to the poll.

he won by an absolute landslide. And yet I didn't even know he was standing in this by election. It wasn't reported at all.

possibly the political correspondents just assumed that he was dead and buried, having been soundly beaten in Poplar and Limehouse the last time he stood for Parliament in 2010.

The media coverage of this by-election, and their response to the result has been atrocious. I can only guess that Bradford does not it in with a few agenda's in the same way that Surrey and Kent do.

Archived