First UK - Bus Division - a 10th up for sale

Oh look...First have discontinued the 58 Stocksbridge bus.....well that's understandable.....Stocksbridge is overflowing with buses....I think not.

That just leaves the 57 to do all of Stocksbridge then doesn't it First.

Atrocious.

Guest busdriver1
Oh look...First have discontinued the 58 Stocksbridge bus.....well that's understandable.....Stocksbridge is overflowing with buses....I think not.

Atrocious.

Given the size of Stocksbridge it has a pretty good bus service and will continue to have. They will just all follow one common route instead of two. Makes it easier to understand for the hard of thinking. Same number of buses, one service number. Strangely most are pretty empty around Stocksgridge and are only viable when they get nearer to Sheffield but are still being carried.

Not permitted under current legislation brought in to prevent the local politicians playing games with public transport. Local authorities have proven time after time they are not capable of running public transport.

I don't agree that LAs have proved that. Local authorities are probably no better or no worse. For example Lothian are a public operator but have a good record, winning bus operator of the year more than once and have contributed to First putting their operations in the area up for sale.

Because the transport act stops them doing so.

Within 5 (or even less) years the situation in this area will change :

FIRST : 3 depots in south yorkshire including the very expensive rotherham depot with lots of under cover parking - very high rates

STAGECOACH : 3 depots in south yorkshire ( rawmarsh, holbrook & ecclesfield ) plus chesterfield .

First were looking at a super depot some years ago which would be a large open parking space with engineering facilities

dont stagecoach also have a depot in barnsley?

dont stagecoach also have a depot in barnsley?

Yes ive forgotten wakefield road so theres even more to trim than i thought !

They also own another in barnsley (shafton) which is currently been used to store the olympic reserve

Guest busdriver1
I don't agree that LAs have proved that. Local authorities are probably no better or no worse. For example Lothian are a public operator but have a good record, winning bus operator of the year more than once and have contributed to First putting their operations in the area up for sale.

I was refering to the local shambles, yes some local authorities are capable but interestingly with arms length operations only.

Atrocious.

It will leave Stocksbridge with:

- a First service 57 every 20 minutes during the day and a Stagecoach service 57 every hour evenings and Sundays

- a First college bus X57 on weekday mornings

- a Stagecoach Supertramlink bus to Middlewood tram terminus every 10 minutes during the day and every 20 minutes evenings and Sundays

- Tates travel bus 201 to Chapeltown every hour during the daytime

- Tates travel bus 23 to Barnsley and Penistone every hour during the daytime

Joint service it may be....but there are buses every couple of minutes on some of those routes whilst other areas of Sheffield have NO bus at all.

That's because different routes need different frequencies to cope with the demand. Compare a 120 every 5 minutes or so to an hourly 39... The amount of passengers is drastically different.

from a car drivers point of view it would be really nice if there were no buses at all! im sick of the damned things jamming all the roads up.

where ever theres a traffic jam you can garantee theres a bus up front causing it.

Guest busdriver1
from a car drivers point of view it would be really nice if there were no buses at all! im sick of the damned things jamming all the roads up.

where ever theres a traffic jam you can garantee theres a bus up front causing it.

And just in front of that will be a tram

Archived