Forced Marriage: Five-Year-Old Could Be UK's Youngest Victim

They already have the right to refuse. If the family could be proven to have threatened or abused them in any way they could already be prosecuted.

The real problem is educating these youngsters about their rights, and getting them to exercise those rights at the risk of having their family prosecuted.

Arranged marriages are not illegal in the UK, distinguishing between an arranged and a forced marriage isn't always as straight forward as you seem to think, particularly not if it requires a child to speak out against their parents.

Which proves somewhat my previous remark that some immigrant groups have set up their own little kingdoms and attempt to coerce their Uk born kids to abide by the laws and customs of the 'old country"

What schools do these kids go to? If they're state run schools and attend from the age of 5 to 17 then surely being exposed to the culture and customs of a western democracy should educate them enough to know their rights.

What more education would they need.?

Which proves somewhat my previous remark that some immigrant groups have set up their own little kingdoms and attempt to coerce their Uk born kids to abide by the laws and customs of the 'old country"

You could make the same argument about any native family, families that try to send their children to the same school or college at Cambridge, other families that teach their children how best to claim benefit, they're all schooling them to abide by their own customs.

What schools do these kids go to? If they're state run schools and attend from the age of 5 to 17 then surely being exposed to the culture and customs of a western democracy should educate them enough to know their rights.

What more education would they need.?

It should, and I don't claim to have solutions here, I was just pointing out that your assumptions were both unfounded and naive.

Baptism has no legal status in British law, would you like to see all religious ceremonies made illegal? Or just some that you get to choose?

Strawman argument. What has a religious ceremony for babies which is freedom of choice to do or not to do with a young adult born and bred in the UK being told that she has been mated with some guy thousands of miles away who she neither knows or loves and that she is expected to exist with this guy for the rest of her life?

Cyclone;8730281]You could make the same argument about any native family, families that try to send their children to the same school or college at Cambridge, other families that teach their children how best to claim benefit, they're all schooling them to abide by their own customs[/b].

It should, and I don't claim to have solutions here, I was just pointing out that your assumptions were both unfounded and naive.

Yes, customs that are practiced in any first world democracy/society but again this has nothing to do with customs that infringe on the rights of a young adult to be able to decide her own destiny in such a society

Girls are brought up within these cultures to know their place. If they go against their parents' wishes, they will be ostracised or worse. I don't know how much it happens or in which communities it is prevalent but I know it happens and that it is likely to continue to happen for many generations to come.

Guess it makes a change from forcing white English girls to take drugs and prostitute themselves.

Another example, amongst many that Islam is totally incompatible with the west (and a thousand years behind).

It's their problem and we ought to stay out of it.

Agreed re: 1st & 2nd points, but no way should we stay out of it when it affects those who live here.

Girls are brought up within these cultures to know their place. If they go against their parents' wishes, they will be ostracised or worse. I don't know how much it happens or in which communities it is prevalent but I know it happens and that it is likely to continue to happen for many generations to come.

A modern democracy has no place for religious cultures and customs to tread on the rights of people.

When religion does practice these abuses then it needs to be slapped down hard.

You cant abolsih religion. The Communists tried and failed but it can be muzzled and controlled when it starts to become rabid

Archived