How to get rid of this unelected government

Who exactly IS our Tone's party? I had always assumed that he was a Glib Dem, then a few months ago he claimed he wasn't. Previously he has stated that he has never voted Conservative. So just WHO does our Tone cast his vote for???:suspect:

I don't have a party. I will declare that two parties have invited me to stand for them but I declined on both occasions. I think that I would make a terrible party affiliated councillor, unaccustomed as I am to being whipped against my better judgement.

You make the mistake that because I criticise the disaster that was the previous Labour Government, or the disaster that was the previous Labour Sheffield Council, that I somehow must have party affiliations in another direction.

I simply think for myself, and speak how I find. Try it some time.

the ballot box hasn't failed though, everyone of us here have.

the choice we are offered of three almost identical parties and a handful of nutters and other unsavoury types is a result of us, the citizens, disconnecting from politics.

if you want a better quality of candidate then there is one thing to do and that is to get involved, join your local party, whichever one suits your preferences labour, conservative or lib dem. get involved in selecting the candidate, select someone who isn't the standard "ppe-graduate special advisor" type but select a person who has done an honest days work, experienced real life, is normal. if no one like that stands, then find someone who is like that an encourage them to stand. once you have selected the right candidate, go out and canvass.

if we all work together we can reclaim politics, don't expect someone else to do this for you because the current shower are that someone else.

Excellent post. But do people vote for a candidate or a party at General Elections?

That's an interesting question, because a single independent candidate should be able to get out there and communicate one to one with voters. There are endless ways of engaging with people these days.

With current levels of voter disaffection (see Bradford) I'd be surprised if an independent acting locally, on matters of interest to local people couldn't make serious inroads into the voter base of the established parties. We might see a few shocks at national and local elections in coming years.

How about a Sheffield Council run by a coalition of independents?

Some very thought provoking ideas here.

The same is true of any party, but I didn't say "unwinnable". I said that parties should treat voters with some respect if you are posting a candidate. Your party has made no effort to inform the electorate in my house, but you are still posting a candidate. I think that is disrespectful.

So, do you consider the Lib Dems to be disrespectful of the electorate too? Similar to the Labour Party your party doesn't see fit to inform the electorate in many wards either; in particular, I haven't received a Lib Dem leaflet in my house for some years.

Surely you should be levelling your criticism at them too and not just at one party to the exclusion of all others?

Read the actual words Max.

The same is true of any party, but I didn't say "unwinnable". I said that parties should treat voters with some respect if you are posting a candidate. Your party has made no effort to inform the electorate in my house, but you are still posting a candidate. I think that is disrespectful.

I don't have a party. I will declare that two parties have invited me to stand for them but I declined on both occasions. I think that I would make a terrible party affiliated councillor, unaccustomed as I am to being whipped against my better judgement.

You make the mistake that because I criticise the disaster that was the previous Labour Government, or the disaster that was the previous Labour Sheffield Council, that I somehow must have party affiliations in another direction.

We do note that there is no defence of the disrespect shown to voters. We're not even deserving of an explanation of policies shoved through the letterbox, but we're good enough to use to split votes for your party's benefit.

Read the actual words Max.

We do note that there is no defence of the disrespect shown to voters. We're not even deserving of an explanation of policies shoved through the letterbox, but we're good enough to use to split votes for your party's benefit.

So you agree that it is disrespectful of your party to not inform the electorate of their policies and look to split the votes in other wards?

I received this in my inbox yesterday :-

Dear friends

The Sunday Times’ recent investigation into the Conservative Party’s fundraising operation has focussed the public’s attention on the influence that can be bought within our political system. We may have been shocked by the frank language used by former Conservative party treasurer Peter Cruddas but the news that money talks within our political system came as no surprise.

Meanwhile the government’s consultation process on its proposals for a register of lobbyists is currently underway: see below. Sheffield for Democracy is organising a public meeting in Sheffield to discuss the proposals, just before the consultation process closes:

Open Up Lobbying

Thursday 12th April

7pm to 9pm

Quaker Meeting House, St James Street Sheffield

We have invited speakers from both the political parties that represent Sheffield people at Westminster.

Paul Blomfield MP for Sheffield Central (Labour) and Joe Otten Councillor for Dore and Totley, also Chair of Hallam LibDems, will be speaking. (Nick Clegg’s wife is a lobbyist, so he is standing back from this consultation)

In addition we are pleased that Tamasin Cave of the Alliance for Lobbying Transparency will also be present.

The Coalition government have pledged to create a register of lobbyists; we need a robust set of proposals if we are indeed to open up the lobbying process to public scrutiny. It is this transparency that we believe is the key to ensuring that influence cannot be bought.

We hope you can join us on the 12th April to show your support for opening up lobbying. We want you to be part of the debate; we plan to write up the comments made at the meeting and make them part of the consultation.

This will be the first public meeting we have called since we were establised in June of 2011, so we would welcome your support: do come and make your voice heard. If you are coming, it would be good to know. If you are not able to attend, but would like us to add your comments to our submission, send them to us on:

info@sheffieldfordemocracy.org

We also need to help us promoting this meeting. Can you send this to your contacts, friends and family?

We would appreciate your support on an issue which is crucial to the health of our democracy.

Vicky Seddon

Coordinator

Sheffield for Democracy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introducing a Statutory Register of Lobbyists http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/cm82/8233/8233.pdf

Consultation process

Purpose

The purpose of this consultation is to give all interested parties the opportunity to comment on the policy options that will underpin the establishment of a statutory register of lobbyists.

Timetable

The consultation will run for 12 weeks from 20 January 2012. The Government will consider all responses received by 13 April 2012.

How to respond

Please send your comments and views to: Statutory Register of LobbyistsArea 4/S11 Horse Guards RoadLondon SW1A 2HQ

Alternatively, please email your response to registerlobbyists@cabinet-office.gsi.gov.uk marking your response with Statutory Register of Lobbyists in the subject field of your email.

Im going to go and im happy to report back any info. Its an open invitation if anyone wishes to join me. Im sure we could do a couple of vinos in the pub afterwards.

Personally im desperate to see the political system changed and have a more democratic government. The status quo isnt an option anymore.

So you agree that it is disrespectful of your party to not inform the electorate of their policies and look to split the votes in other wards?

Max, go and read my words again, you don't seem to have a grip on what I wrote.

Max, go and read my words again, you don't seem to have a grip on what I wrote.

Here are your words:

I said that parties should treat voters with some respect if you are posting a candidate. Your party has made no effort to inform the electorate in my house, but you are still posting a candidate. I think that is disrespectful.

I asked you why you only think Labour are disrespectful when the Lib Dems also fail to communicate with many voters at election time. I don't see why you seem to think I don't have a grip on your words as you've not answered my query.

I'll ask you again, do you think the Lib Dems are disrespectful of the electorate?

Here are your words:

I asked you why you only think Labour are disrespectful when the Lib Dems also fail to communicate with many voters at election time. I don't see why you seem to think I don't have a grip on your words as you've not answered my query.

I'll ask you again, do you think the Lib Dems are disrespectful of the electorate?

No Max, these are also my words, and they are the ones that I repeated for you up the page. You can have them again, they are perfectly clear.

You'll note that I say "any party", that "I don't have a party" and that I specifically referred to the Fulwood ward as the example in my house.

I'll tell you what though Max, your failed attempts to score party political points are a nice example of why voters are so disaffected, and moreover, it's why your own party is on its arse and will stay there until it gets itself into the 21st century.

Treat the electorate with a bit of respect. It's cold in the wilderness.

Archived