What jobs will survive?

Oh I'm sorry, I must have missed the news about the retirement age coming down.

And about overtime being abolished.

As a percentage of our lifetime we are working less, because in the past people didn't live much after retirement age but in absolute terms we are working much further into old age than ever before. It's madness. People are having to work well into old age whilst youth unemployment has never been higher. Not the mechanised, technologically advanced Utopia Tomorrow's World promised us.

And where's my Jetpac?

I'm with Cyclone on this. Retirement is a relatively recent phenomenon replacing the need to work until death because no work meant no income or the poor house. In terms of work we now work fewer hours in the day, fewer days in the week and fewer weeks in the year than we ever have in the past.

Oh I'm sorry, I must have missed the news about the retirement age coming down.

It hasn't actually gone up yet has it, and on a weekly basis we work for the shortest time we ever have.

And about overtime being abolished.

No, but that's taken into account. Did you think overtime didn't exist in the past either?

As a percentage of our lifetime we are working less, because in the past people didn't live much after retirement age but in absolute terms we are working much further into old age than ever before. It's madness. People are having to work well into old age whilst youth unemployment has never been higher. Not the mechanised, technologically advanced Utopia Tomorrow's World promised us.

And where's my Jetpac?

Personally I'd like my flying car, the jetpack wouldn't be very good in the rain.

Guest sibon

Personally I'd like my flying car, the jetpack wouldn't be very good in the rain.

Hovver boots are where it is at.

If it rains, you can always get the monorail.

We have reached 2012 AD and people still cling on to the delusion that work for income is going to last forever. Yes indeed, 7 billion people are going to be programmers and engineers and machine repairers....

I suppose it could work out somehow, provided the average workday is 1/2 hour per employee. Let's see how far our tunneled vision takes us, for the sake of desperately clinging onto an obsolete system and for fear of exploring alternatives lest we be labelled derogatively in the eyes of society.

We have reached 2012 AD and people still cling on to the delusion that work for income is going to last forever. Yes indeed, 7 billion people are going to be programmers and engineers and machine repairers....

I suppose it could work out somehow, provided the average workday is 1/2 hour per employee. Let's see how far our tunneled vision takes us, for the sake of desperately clinging onto an obsolete system and for fear of exploring alternatives lest we be labelled derogatively in the eyes of society.

We have reached 2012 AD and 20 million people a year are still suffering from starvation. On a planet awash with money and resources that is an utter disgrace.

I hope we have all become educated enough to realise that this is not the fault of 'climate change' or 'overpopulation' or an innevitable, unresolvable problem, but a further sign that our current system is 'not fit for purpose.'

Neither should people kid themselves that it couldn't happen here. Without work and money it all too easily could.

Archived