Tax return advice

You are entitled to put down, on the tax form, everything for which you can claim - tools, mileage, the works.

You will not receive back any more than the total amount of tax that was taken from you, though. If the calculation ends up being a negative figure, you don't get to take money away from the Inland Revenue; you just don't pay them anything.

It so happens that, in your case, you will be paying no tax for this year anyway, whether you put down all those claims or not. They won't make any practical difference.

Sorry. I was wrong to say that the mileage claims are irrelevant.

As they others have helped clarify, they will have no effect this year.

However, I think you can enter the claims and state that the 'loss' is being carried forward, and then if you are earning more next year, it can reduce any potential tax bill.

I'm not sure if you can keep carrying it forward after that?

I am no expert and really think it is worth spending £100 (as someone suggested) with a good accountant to clarify exactly what can and can't be done.

Archived