Just been on the Ouija Board.

*I have tried doing a quick google for our energy fields extending beyond our bodies as evidence but just keep gettin new agey sites. As I can't be bothered to trawl my own literature for the information you'll either have to look for yourself or not believe me but it is a recognised scientific phenomena.

You're on a thread populated largely by skeptics, we'd be doing a pretty poor job if we just took your word on something like that.

'our energy fields' sounds extremely vague to me, certainly doesn't sound scientific. I'd like to know what kind of energy, how far these fields extend, and what difference they can make to anything?

Are you sure you didn't just read about it being a 'recognised scientific phenomena' on one of these new ages sites?

When I was younger (a lot !) I lived in the village of Crich in a very very old house in the Market place called 'Marlum'. One night after toddling home from the service mens social club, me and my 'then' partner decided that we would have a go at the Ouija board, so made a rudimentary one from a piece of plywood that was lying around in the cellar. Well, we both had a bit of fun pushing the glass around, spelling 'boo' and 'bogies' and such like until my partner told me to stop messing about and take it seriously. I swear, to this day, that I was not pushing the glass when it spelled out a name un-beknown to both of us. It then preceded to spell out the name of our house :o and then spelled out 'desecrate' ! As it spelled the last letter, we heard a loud bang and all the lights in the village went out. We were both very scared indeed ! I lit candles and sat shuddering with my partner, not daring to go to bed. We found out the next day that a local sub station had been hit by a freak lightening bolt, plunging the whole area into darkness. It was months after, that I mentioned to a friend in the village that we had been messing about with the ouija board and told them the name that it had spelled out. To my utter horror, my friend told me that it was a known family name in the village a long time ago that were murdered by a farmer that had gone nuts and they were buried in the local church graveyard. My partner went to the church some time after and asked the vicar if it was true. He confirmed the story and told my partner that it was strange that he had asked about the family as the headstone had been vandalised by local kids some months previous !!! (desecrated).. I have never been near a ouija board since. :wow:

That sounds unlikely.

you don't believe in coincidences?

I do, in fact. That story still sounds unlikely to me. Right now, I'd say the order or probability is somewhere along the lines of:

1. Remembered as being more significant than it was.

2. Made up.

3. Coincidence.

4. Elaborate hoax perpetrated on the Mummy.

5. Space aliens.

6. Something supernatural.

Well if we weren't moving it who was? None of us admitted to moving it deliberately and I don't think any of us were 'intentionally' moving it.

It's called ideomotion, once the planchette (or glass) is moving, you have to move your hand with it.

By moving your hand and keeping contact with it, you are actually pushing it without realising.

When the glass reaches the letter or goes past it, you expect it to stop so you slow your hand down, which in turn slows the glass down and the change in direction takes it to the next letter.

I believe the current license for the official Ouija Board is held by Hasbro, sold as the board game it was originally intended to be.

On the patent application, it states that the game relies on the ideomotor effect to make it work. No supernatural forces are required :thumbsup:

EDIT: I see Hecate has posted a link explaining ideomotion in more detail, anyone who believes Ouija boards are supernatural should have a read of that. And then have a look through the history of the game.

I do, in fact. That story still sounds unlikely to me. Right now, I'd say the order or probability is somewhere along the lines of:

1. Remembered as being more significant than it was.

2. Made up.

3. Coincidence.

4. Elaborate hoax perpetrated on the Mummy.

5. Space aliens.

6. Something supernatural.

1 and 3 seems the most likely

Fancy believing in all that rubbish.

Some people are so gullible they will believe anything,so i've been told.

What rubbish? The scientific explanation or the adopted paranormal lore?

This short video by Channel 4 explains it much better and simpler than I can.

(also see same site for a vid on psychic readings/mediums)

Archived