Just been on the Ouija Board.

'our energy fields' sounds extremely vague to me, certainly doesn't sound scientific. I'd like to know what kind of energy, how far these fields extend, and what difference they can make to anything?

When you walk into any room with people in it, it has 'atmosphere'

It isn't unusual to be able to sense another person looking at you when you have your back to them

It can go further. Whenever I wanted to find my best friend at uni, I always knew where he was. One strange day, I 'knew' he was in town shopping (HIGHLY unlikely). Deciding I was wrong, I headed to his flat - where he wasn't. I went to the union bar, where other friends told me that he'd gone into town to replace an item that had been broken in his flat as the landlord was due round for his rent

You are just as guilty of insult by action, ie by your effort to disprove by scientific methods their beliefs in the credibility of the Ouija bourd.

Anyway i did praise you for doing that so lets finish on an equel footing PLEASE.

I'm not attempting to disprove anything, the Ouija board was designed, patented and manufactured as a board game utilising the ideomotor effect as its gimmick. I'm just agreeing with it.

If anyone sees this as an insult, they should take it up with Hasbro.

It isn't unusual to be able to sense another person looking at you when you have your back to them

Don't most people have a look when they notice somebody walk into the room anyway? I mean, isn't it to be expected? Thus giving you the feeling you are being watched?

Don't most people have a look when they notice somebody walk into the room anyway?
That was two separate statements, and no, if the room is a function room holding around 200 people, I wouldn't expect everybody to turn around, especially if they were already partying

No reason to think that's anything other than psychological. We are social creatures, and have become very good at sensing the general 'vibe' or 'atmosphere' of a social situation, nothing strange about that and certainly does not require new age concepts of magical energy fields to explain it.

Yes it is unnatural to be able to do that, it doesn't happen, just confirmation bias at play. You forget every time you think someone's looking at you but no-one is but you turn around one time and find someone is looking at you and you think 'oh that's weird' so you remember it. Also, people are quite likely to look at a person turning around, quite often they weren't even looking at you until you turned around.

It can go further. Whenever I wanted to find my best friend at uni, I always knew where he was.
I doubt that tbh.

One strange day, I 'knew' he was in town shopping (HIGHLY unlikely). Deciding I was wrong, I headed to his flat - where he wasn't. I went to the union bar, where other friends told me that he'd gone into town to replace an item that had been broken in his flat as the landlord was due round for his rent
Sounds like another classic example of confirmation bias, I wonder how many times you thought you knew where he was and was wrong and just forgot about it.

Basically, sorry, but you're not psychic.

Okay, looking at it as two separate statements then...

Yes, or to be exact, ambience. You have audible and visible information (tone of voices in background, body language and lighting etc.) which generally gives you an feeling of the mood people are in.

Well if you look at the options:

A) Another person is looking at you, but you don't "sense" this and don't turn around to look.

RESULT: You are oblivious to what happened, nothing has registered.

B) You "sense" that someone is looking at you, you turn around to look, but nobody is.

RESULT: You go back to minding your own business and forget about it, it doesn't register as a "miss"

C) You "sense" that someone is looking at you, you turn around to look, but nobody is.

RESULT: You go think that somebody probably was looking at you but looked away when you turned to see. It registers as a "feeling that you are being watched"

D) You "sense" that someone is looking at you, you turn around to look, and they are.

RESULT: It registers that you "sensed" you were being watched and you were right!

Compare A with D. If you have been watched 100 times but never noticed, then also been watched 20 times and "sensed" it every time, it will register in your mind that EVERY time you "sensed" you were being watched, you were right!

You will have no idea that the other 100 times ever happened.

EDIT: I see Jimmy more or less said the same while I was typing!

I'd just like to ask, does anybody see this reasoning (by myself) as hostile or negative?

If so, in what way?

I ask because quite frequently in discussions where reasoning is applied politely and accurately, people of opposite views seem to take offence then go on the offensive in response.

I doubt that tbh.

Sounds like another classic example of confirmation bias, I wonder how many times you thought you knew where he was and was wrong and just forgot about it

er, none, as that would have been weird enough for me to remember

Basically, sorry, but you're not psychic.

Your words, not mine, but life would be simpler if you were right

Knowing where somebody is is quite useful, but the death predictions are really uncomfortable to live with. They're getting easier to understand the more there are though

When my best friend from school died, I'd been in a panic a couple of weeks before over a fight he'd wussed out of. Something in my head said to him 'You have no heart. It'll be the death of you'. He died in a car accident. He didn't die of his injuries. He died of a heart attack before he hit the windscreen

That wasn't the first, and there have been others

Archived