Just been on the Ouija Board.

I think you've got it backwards, it absolutely should be be taken lightly: It is a childrens toy. That's what it was invented for, marketed for, and sold as.

If you treat it like a game and take it lightly absolutely nothing can possibly go wrong, you can just have a fun night like bloomdido did.

It's when you start taking it seriously that gullible people can get bad psychological effects.

There is something in it that affects people mentally,it starts off as bit of fun one drunken night and it starts to get more serious there is some sort of strange attraction in things from beyond with some people and they get overwhelmed by the whole thing,Im not sure if it is true or not but some people take it very seriously most of them don't use the ouija boards they use a glass and make the letters out of cards,there is supposed to be a proper way of contacting the spirits as there is said to be a chance of getting a bad spirit that is supposed to be when all the problems start,I have seen the affect it can have on some people,my opinion is leave it alone.

There is something in it that affects people mentally,it starts off as bit of fun one drunken night and it starts to get more serious there is some sort of strange attraction in things from beyond with some people and they get overwhelmed by the whole thing,Im not sure if it is true or not but some people take it very seriously most of them don't use the ouija boards they use a glass and make the letters out of cards,there is supposed to be a proper way of contacting the spirits as there is said to be a chance of getting a bad spirit that is supposed to be when all the problems start,I have seen the affect it can have on some people,my opinion is leave it alone.

It's also said that fairies dance with unicorns at the bottom of some folk's gardens...

I agree that some unfortunate people have been disturbed by using a ouija board, or some other method of 'contacting the spirits'. However, those disturbances are entirely psychological, originating from internal, not external malevolent and supernatural factors.

The motivation to believe, our fundamental irrationality, the colourful cultural history associated with these toys, and ignorance (in many cases - as we've demonstrated on many previous threads of this nature - wilful ignorance) of the fairly straightforward psychological and physiological mechanisms which govern the operation of the ouija board and similar effects, work together to baffle and disturb the gullible.

The only bad spirits are those in forgotten, loosely-capped, unlabelled bottles at the back of the pantry, of course. But for those susceptible to suggestion, and eager to believe that what the Winchester boys hunt roam beyond the confines of the DVD boxsets, it's probably best to leave the ouija board alone.

You have a point but I think it applies to a small minority of easily influenced/suggestible/impressionable individuals, maybe if you started the post like this..

There can be something about it that affects some people mentally

As spiritulists claim it is our energy which moves the glass I supposed that they would be able to use this energy whether in contact or not. If we are touching the glass we can never rule out kinetic energy (which could be produced by our subconcious stimulating the muscles in our arms/hands etc) but there is no way of having a controlled test to differenciate between our own kinetic energy and the 'spirits' manipulating our 'psychic', ahem, energy.

There's a pretty good one actually.

You can simply turn around the oujia board without the participants knowing, and then laugh as it fails to spell out anything.

My daughter mentioned it so we got the table polished and set about contacting the dead. She was skeptical but we soon got some results between the four of us and have spent the last couple of hours asking questions from the 'other side'. Does anyone else partake in this activity?

How Boring,you wasted two hours of your life when you could have done something more constructive.

It's also said that fairies dance with unicorns at the bottom of some folk's gardens...

I agree that some unfortunate people have been disturbed by using a ouija board, or some other method of 'contacting the spirits'. However, those disturbances are entirely psychological, originating from internal, not external malevolent and supernatural factors.

The motivation to believe, our fundamental irrationality, the colourful cultural history associated with these toys, and ignorance (in many cases - as we've demonstrated on many previous threads of this nature - wilful ignorance) of the fairly straightforward psychological and physiological mechanisms which govern the operation of the ouija board and similar effects, work together to baffle and disturb the gullible.

The only bad spirits are those in forgotten, loosely-capped, unlabelled bottles at the back of the pantry, of course. But for those susceptible to suggestion, and eager to believe that what the Winchester boys hunt roam beyond the confines of the DVD boxsets, it's probably best to leave the ouija board alone.

Put better than I could've, thanks.

Archived