Is heroin so passe?

Yes well i do share your concerns about danger in the workplace, safety is paramount.

It does however seem quite unfair to penalise someone for a past history,especially if they havn't got a criminal record. As you say some have only dabbled.If a person is a former drug addict then that would require more careful consideration, but what kind of a society is it that doesn't make allowences for someone who is fully rehabilitaded and capable of performing a job as equally good as any other person.

Nothing wrong with hiring a rehabilitated person if they can show some evidence that they have been.

Random spot testing of such a person would also be desirable. just in case and they would have to agree to that

Bill Clinton was fairly typical of his generation. Most people of his age tried pot at one time or another in their younger years. Most though never did more than dabble in it, a passing fad if you like.

Do you think that it is any different now?

Bill Clinton was fairly typical of his generation. Most people of his age tried pot at one time or another in their younger years. Most though never did more than dabble in it, a passing fad if you like.

See the last part of my post...

I dont fault employers for a policy of zero toleration towards employee use of drugs. Like alcohol drugs can affect reflex actions and the process of normal mental thought which in the work place, especially industrial, could cause injury to other employees or others who happened to be there resulting in big lawsuits against the employer and there are enough "ambulance chasing" type lawyers around who are only to eager to sue the hell out of employers on behalf of injured clients.

Do you include alcohol in that first sentence?

it sounds like you've got yourself in a bad situation fruitisbad and you have my sympathy.but as for as root cause first ,nobody forces you to take drugs.,

you can come up with all the excuses under the sun ,but you make the decision.

I've been round drugs over the years in a few countrys india,se asia and I lived in amsterdam in the late 70's

most people I"ve been round who became adicted to drugs is because of ego,they thought they could handle drugs and they find out the hard way thay can;t .

A lot has been mentioned about educating youngsters etc. I think it would be a good idea to educate adults first. Since this is a forum and you have time to look things up, then it is pointless to ask... but if we were face to face (not ness me and you, but in general) and I listed 10 drugs, it would be interesting to see how many you got right, if the question was 'which of these is physically addictive'.

What about Cocaine, this is a different beast altogether, can we have that on general sale too. And if anyone even thinks that coke use wont go up if it does go on sale legally is a buffoon.
I agree, coke use will skyrocket in the short term and we'll probably see major problems with its usage. Thats why the distribution of it needs to be carefully controlled.

Do you have an argument to say they wont.

I'd like to accept your unwillingness to answer my question as a "no, I don't have an argument".

I'd also like to address your question with the response that if a doctor was to prescribe diamorphine on the NHS to deal with addiction, it'd be a rare case where people went to a Doctor to declare their willingness to try the drug for the first time. In addition to this, if there was no profit in getting people addicted to opiates, then drug dealers would have no market anymore and basic economics would end their business.

Do you have an argument to say they wont.

Yep:

"Judging by every metric, decriminalization in Portugal has been a resounding success," says Glenn Greenwald, an attorney, author and fluent Portuguese speaker, who conducted the research. "It has enabled the Portuguese government to manage and control the drug problem far better than virtually every other Western country does."

Compared to the European Union and the U.S., Portugal's drug use numbers are impressive. Following decriminalization, Portugal had the lowest rate of lifetime marijuana use in people over 15 in the E.U.: 10%. The most comparable figure in America is in people over 12: 39.8%. Proportionally, more Americans have used cocaine than Portuguese have used marijuana.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1893946,00.html#ixzz1rH3PnAPo

Decriminalise drugs and fewer people use them. The policies you support guarantee more addiction and more lives lost.

Do you think that it is any different now?

See the last part of my post...

Do you include alcohol in that first sentence?

A lot has been mentioned about educating youngsters etc. I think it would be a good idea to educate adults first. Since this is a forum and you have time to look things up, then it is pointless to ask... but if we were face to face (not ness me and you, but in general) and I listed 10 drugs, it would be interesting to see how many you got right, if the question was 'which of these is physically addictive'.

The most effective way to educate adults is to give them a choice. Your job or your lifestyle?

My argument against employing people who abuse alcohol or drugs is from the perspective of an employer and safety on the job.

There are some jobs and ocupations where these cannot be tolertated under any circumstances:

Pilots and airline staff

People employed in the utility industry. Water, electricity, natural gas, power generating stations

Train drivers, taxi, bus and truck drivers

Operators of any kind of equipment from light duty forklifts to Mega Monster cranes and excavation equipment

Operators of rides at amusement parks

And there are probably a lot more that I haven't thought of

I dont know about the UK but here many of the above occupations require the employee to submit to random blood or urine testing at any time and without any notice and that applies to everyone but that said I dont think anyone with a record of drug abuse would be employed in these jobs in the first place

A neighbour of mine works as a lineman on overhead power lines which carry around 5000 volts. The margin for error or carelesness is zero.

Every so often the management tell him and the other employees to report immediately to the clinic for testing. They receive no advance notice of this and it could happen at anytime on any day of the week.

This may not be 100 percent fool proof and nothing in life is either but it does go a long way to protect everyone from what could be a disaster

Archived