Is heroin so passe?

All job applicants ask the same question

"Have you recently or at anytime in the past used illegal substances"?

Why would applicants ask the interviewer that question?

You mean INTERVIEWERS, and you're wrong, it's not asked at every interview at all. On this subject harleyman, your opinions are based on made-up facts and prejudice, you know less about the subject than your incoherent posts indicate.

Why would applicants ask the interviewer that question?

You mean INTERVIEWERS, and you're wrong, it's not asked at every interview at all. On this subject harleyman, your opinions are based on made-up facts and prejudice, you know less about the subject than your incoherent posts indicate.

Where do you live? If you dont live where I live you dont know what you're talking about

Where do you live? If you dont live where I live you dont know what you're talking about

Where you live job APPLICANTS ask the job INTERVIEWERS if they've taken drugs? Wouldn't that scupper their chances? Would YOU give a job to someone who asked about your drug use? Come off it harleyman, you contribute very little to these debates because you just make stuff up. Last time you disappeared when you were asked why you think population density impacts drug usage levels.

Portugal, Switzerland and The Netherlands prove that administering safe, controlled doses of heroin means that addicts can get on with normal, productive lives, bother nobody, steal nothing, live far healthier and law-abiding lives and leave my car stereo alone.

The Cato paper reports that between 2001 and 2006 in Portugal, rates of lifetime use of any illegal drug among seventh through ninth graders fell from 14.1% to 10.6%; drug use in older teens also declined.

Lifetime heroin use among 16-to-18-year-olds fell from 2.5% to 1.8% (although there was a slight increase in marijuana use in that age group).

New HIV infections in drug users fell by 17% between 1999 and 2003, and deaths related to heroin and similar drugs were cut by more than half. In addition, the number of people on methadone and buprenorphine treatment for drug addiction rose to 14,877 from 6,040, after decriminalization, and money saved on enforcement allowed for increased funding of drug-free treatment as well.

Portugal's case study is of some interest to lawmakers in the U.S., confronted now with the violent overflow of escalating drug gang wars in Mexico. The U.S. has long championed a hard-line drug policy, supporting only international agreements that enforce drug prohibition and imposing on its citizens some of the world's harshest penalties for drug possession and sales. Yet America has the highest rates of cocaine and marijuana use in the world, and while most of the E.U. (including Holland) has more liberal drug laws than the U.S., it also has less drug use.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1893946,00.html#ixzz1rHTC50bR

Fascinating stuff, it seems that for the young the allure of drugs is their illegality. The "Forbidden Apple" theory. Make it legal and it's square and boring and old-fashioned.

Fascinating stuff, it seems that for the young the allure of drugs is their illegality. The "Forbidden Apple" theory. Make it legal and it's square and boring and old-fashioned.

mmm, just like alcohol... oh no... er, like heroin in Afghanistan, er, no...

I'd like to accept your unwillingness to answer my question as a "no, I don't have an argument".

I'd also like to address your question with the response that if a doctor was to prescribe diamorphine on the NHS to deal with addiction, it'd be a rare case where people went to a Doctor to declare their willingness to try the drug for the first time. In addition to this, if there was no profit in getting people addicted to opiates, then drug dealers would have no market anymore and basic economics would end their business.

Keep telling yourself that :hihi:

Are you saying there are hoards of people out there desperate to try heroin but not doing it because of the legality of it?

I'm not saying that, neither am I just going to roll over because other absolute non experts are guessing there isn't.

Er nope, this not Portugal.

Oh, it's been tried elsewhere:

The Swiss, for example, in 1997 reported on a three-year experiment in which they had prescribed heroin to 1,146 addicts in 18 locations. They found: "Individual health and social circumstances improved drastically ... The improvements in physical health which occurred during treatment with heroin proved to be stable over the course of one and a half years and in some cases continued to increase (in physical terms, this relates especially to general and nutritional status and injection- related skin diseases) ... In the psychiatric area, depressive states in particular continued to regress, as well as anxiety states and delusional disorders ... The mortality of untreated patients is markedly higher." They also reported dramatic improvements in the social stability of the addicts, including a steep fall in crime.

There are equally impressive results from similar projects in Holland and Luxembourg and Naples and, also, in Britain.

In Liverpool, during the early 1990s, Dr John Marks used a special Home Office licence to prescribe heroin to addicts. Police reported a 96% reduction in acquisitive crime among a group of addict patients. Deaths from locally acquired HIV infection and drug-related overdoses fell to zero.

But, under intense pressure from the government, the project was closed down.

In its 10 years' work, not one of its patients had died. In the first two years after it was closed, 41 died.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2001/jun/14/drugsandalcohol.socialsciences

If addicts get a clean, safe supply they don't NEED to steal anything. Know how much acquisitive crime the cops say is drug-related? 80%

Tell me why you'd oppose an 80% reduction in the acquisitive crime rate in your neighbourhood!

Archived