Is heroin so passe?

Oh, it's been tried elsewhere:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2001/jun/14/drugsandalcohol.socialsciences

If addicts get a clean, safe supply they don't NEED to steal anything. Know how much acquisitive crime the cops say is drug-related? 80%

Tell me why you'd oppose an 80% reduction in the acquisitive crime rate in your neighbourhood!

What makes you think I oppose it, I dont, I'm just asking valid questions about it as I'm no expert on the subject.

Where you live job APPLICANTS ask the job INTERVIEWERS if they've taken drugs? Wouldn't that scupper their chances? Would YOU give a job to someone who asked about your drug use? Come off it harleyman, you contribute very little to these debates because you just make stuff up. Last time you disappeared when you were asked why you think population density impacts drug usage levels.

Portugal, Switzerland and The Netherlands prove that administering safe, controlled doses of heroin means that addicts can get on with normal, productive lives, bother nobody, steal nothing, live far healthier and law-abiding lives and leave my car stereo alone.

Hey I made a typo! Big deal ! Obviously what i meant was that employers ask applicants about drug use

Just as a matter of interest do some train and bus drivers in Europe operate normally and productively under controlled doses of heroin?

You just dont read my posts or understand or appreciate the valid and common sense points i made about the way drug or alcohol use could impact the safety of fellow employees and why should any person who is responsible enough not to abuse their body with escapist junk have to be possibly put in harms way?

I dont know what these people you talk about do for a living in Portugal, Netherlands and Switzerland but I bet there are a lot of occupations they're barred from.

Maybe they're paper shufflers or janitors

What nurses think:

Heroin should be prescribed on the NHS to help wean addicts off the drug and drive down crime rates, a nursing leader has claimed.

"I do believe in heroin prescribing," said General Secretary of the Royal College of Nursing (RCN) Dr Peter Carter, speaking in a personal capacity after a debate on the issue at the RCN's annual conference. "The fact is heroin is very addictive. People who are addicted so often resort to crime, to steal to buy the heroin.

"It obviates the need for them to steal. It might take a few years but I think people will understand," he said. "If you are going to get people off heroin then in the initial stages we have to have proper heroin prescribing services.

http://www.nursinginpractice.com/article/call-prescribe-heroin-nhs

What coppers think:

Heroin should be prescribed to a greater number of addicts in a bid to reduce crime, one of the country's most senior police officers said today.

Ken Jones, president of the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo), called for the drug to be made available to long-term users so they no longer need to commit crime to fund their habit.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2007/feb/19/immigrationpolicy.ukcrime

Just as a matter of interest do some train and bus drivers in Europe operate normally and productively under controlled doses of heroin?

I doubt it, but it is possible to function normally if given a safe clean supply of opiates.

What is more important though is that when people are given opiates, it should be done with the ultimate aim of getting them to stop. Drug dealers sell heroin with ultimate aim of selling more and more - it's a fundamentally awful idea to keep the trade in the hands of criminals.

I doubt it, but it is possible to function normally if given a safe clean supply of opiates.

What is more important though is that when people are given opiates, it should be done with the ultimate aim of getting them to stop. Drug dealers sell heroin with ultimate aim of selling more and more - it's a fundamentally awful idea to keep the trade in the hands of criminals.

I have a mate who is actually down to a tenners worth a day and he has a good job and family life, you would never know to look at him.

An heroin user? Why doesn't he just convert to methadone if he's in control of his use?

He foils it too but in the past he has been very very bad, injecting it in the past too, dont know why he is not on methadone but I do know he has tried it years ago when he was out of control.

Even his employer knows about the situation and doesnt seem to mind because he works hard.

One thing that's not considered is the cost of all this treatment. I know cost is no object with the NHS even though they are going steadily broke but I dont think the average person in the US would be happy to see the costs of their health coverage increase dramatically with a massive program to rehabilitate every alcoholic, every crack, heroin or cocaine addict and set up a whole new bureaocracy to administer it. The cost of all this which would be eye bogglingl and funded either through a big rise in Federal or State taxes or Medicare payments. Not a prospect that appeals to anybody in these lean times.

I think the attitude and reaction on the whole would be "Screw em......they made the choice, let em live with it" and who could blame them. I wouldn't.

One thing that's not considered is the cost of all this treatment.

Take it out of what you pay to lock drug users up. America's drugs policy is madness.

I think the attitude and reaction on the whole would be "Screw em......they made the choice, let em live with it" and who could blame them. I wouldn't.

Then more fool them. The answers to the problems of drug addicts in society have been explored by various nations, at various points in history, and prohibition has never been the cheapest or the most sensible option.

Archived