Is heroin so passe?

My argument against employing people who abuse alcohol or drugs is from the perspective of an employer and safety on the job.

There are some jobs and ocupations where these cannot be tolertated under any circumstances:

Pilots and airline staff

People employed in the utility industry. Water, electricity, natural gas, power generating stations

Train drivers, taxi, bus and truck drivers

Operators of any kind of equipment from light duty forklifts to Mega Monster cranes and excavation equipment

Operators of rides at amusement parks

And there are probably a lot more that I haven't thought of

I'm not sure you have posted any answer to what I wrote. What you have written here is basic common sense.

By suggesting that people have access to clean prescribed opiates doesn't mean that it is suggesting that pilots etc. should be able to take these substances and work at a competent level - that's a ludicrous argument. I expect them not to have alcohol in their system, and that is something that is freely available now.

It's the dealers that get locked up and that means they're out of circulation

I feel sure that you are an intelligent man, yet you write this as matter of fact, and yet it seems preposterously naïve to me.

The addicts unless they do something to break the law dont get locked up

But they will break the law. As is what happens now, and did with alcohol when the government tried a similar tactic.

Gangs will always be around. Take away the drugs and they will just go back to mugging old ladies, committing burglaries and running hookers and they'll be arrested and sent down. So it will go on as always.

The temptation to make a fast easy buck and avoid an honest days work always the draw for a gang banger

If a large part of current crime could be reduced, then isn't it worth considering? If the answer to this is right under our noses, then why use other unrelated crimes as a defense to not implementing the first answer?

One thing that's not considered is the cost of all this treatment. I know cost is no object with the NHS even though they are going steadily broke but I dont think the average person in the US would be happy to see the costs of their health coverage increase dramatically with a massive program to rehabilitate every alcoholic, every crack, heroin or cocaine addict and set up a whole new bureaocracy to administer it. The cost of all this which would be eye bogglingl and funded either through a big rise in Federal or State taxes or Medicare payments. Not a prospect that appeals to anybody in these lean times.

I think the attitude and reaction on the whole would be "Screw em......they made the choice, let em live with it" and who could blame them. I wouldn't.

If you all had one months tax rebate for how much the drug policies cost in real terms and in prison costs, you'd be re-plumbing your faucet for Dom Perignon to freely flow through it. (don't drink though if you're a pilot :D)

I'm sure this has been pointed out, and since many people can't see it, it seems pointless arguing it. Ironically, if some people tried some drugs they might see things more clearly. :hihi:

Some very passionate comments on this thread stating the case for legalisation.I think most of the credit should go to Ferno for research and persistence though.

Have you have changed your viewpoint to the issues in this thread?

If you have, then it's unusual. Most people on here (from my obs.) don't change their opinions easily. Me included of course.

This is something that has been argued to death in here, and still many people can't see the obvious logic to what makes sense.

Have you have changed your viewpoint to the issues in this thread?

If you have, then it's unusual. Most people on here (from my obs.) don't change their opinions easily. Me included of course.

This is something that has been argued to death in here, and still many people can't see the obvious logic to what makes sense.

I can't say i'm entirely convinced,but i do think something has to change to sort out the present situation

In theory yes it does make some sense,but in practice i have doubts about it working.

I can't say i'm entirely convinced,but i do think something has to change to sort out the present situation

In theory yes it does make some sense,but in practice i have doubts about it working.

Well that's a start :)

It has been done in practice, and worked.

A major problem or obstacle is that it takes politicians balls to introduce any kind of measures to what has been suggested.

Most people in society are stupid and/or easily led. It isn't in a politician's/expert's interest to knock themselves out of a job, and that is precisely what happens when radical changes are suggested by them - as has happened in the past.

I really can't believe that this subject,

'Medical distribution of currently illegal and uncontrolled drugs which are at the moment sold by people with little concern for anything aside money being placed in the hands of a division of the nhs which would stop x% of crime almost overnight and save taxpayers such vast amounts.'

even requires a debate anymore.

I feel sure that you are an intelligent man, yet you write this as matter of fact, and yet it seems preposterously naïve to me.

But they will break the law. As is what happens now, and did with alcohol when the government tried a similar tactic.

If a large part of current crime could be reduced, then isn't it worth considering? If the answer to this is right under our noses, then why use other unrelated crimes as a defense to not implementing the first answer?

The only way it will work if the heroin is basically free, their addicts remember, they'll need it all the time. Then will they be capable of doing anything or will they just continue being dosers, paid to live off their heads by the tax payer...? Without reason to get clean...

Archived