Is heroin so passe?

I don't believe that such a time will exist, whilst there is such a massive profit involved in the production, trafficking and sale of illegal drugs they will be available to whoever wants to use them. For me the key is removing that profit from the equation.

What I wondered was what would be the physical effects on a person if they could no longer obtain their drugs legally or illegally.

Obviously I am not including those who need the drug for medical purposes but those who are addicted through using it for pleasure.

Would they die or adapt ?

Why won't they be able to hold down a job? They always were before, until the supply was criminalised.

Most didn't, most people truly can't function properly whilst on an opioid analgesic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/emotional_health/addictions/heroin.shtml

Effects of heroin

Most people get a 'rush' or 'buzz' within minutes of taking heroin. The effects vary depending on how the heroin is taken, but users generally feel initially euphoric and then become warm, content and relaxed. They may also feel drowsy, with constriction of the pupils, slurred speech and impaired attention. Heroin can also detach the user from feelings of pain and worry.

Heroin can also make you vomit, give you headaches and sometimes give you a more disturbed mood.

What jobs would you hire an alcoholic for now?

What I wondered was what would be the physical effects on a person if they could no longer obtain their drugs legally or illegally.

Obviously I am not including those who need the drug for medical purposes but those who are addicted through using it for pleasure.

Would they die or adapt ?

As you're talking about the physical reaction it is worth noting that there isn't much difference between someone taking their opiods over a prolonged period of time for chronic pain and someone who abuses the drug. So, although people do go "cold turkey" where they just stop taking their opiods, it is not generally recommended medically.

Most didn't, most people truly can't function properly whilst on an opioid analgesic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/emotional_health/addictions/heroin.shtml

I think that the suggestion was that the addict would abuse their drugs in their spare time, rather then when at work.

As you're talking about the physical reaction it is worth noting that there isn't much difference between someone taking their opiods over a prolonged period of time for chronic pain and someone who abuses the drug. So, although people do go "cold turkey" where they just stop taking their opiods, it is not generally recommended medically.

I am no expert on this matter but have been told that it is like a bad dose of flu going without the drug and trying to break the habit.

Is the addiction harder to break than the addiction to tobaco ?

Most didn't

They most certainly did. While heroin was legally available on prescription, there were never as many as 5,000 addicts in the country, and the majority of them worked and paid taxes.

What makes you prefer a system that has led to getting on for half a million addicts, all of whom are a constant drain on society instead of contributing to it?

I am no expert on this matter but have been told that it is like a bad dose of flu going without the drug and trying to break the habit.

Is the addiction harder to break than the addiction to tobaco ?

For some I'm sure breaking the addiction would be like dose of flu, for others it by cause them problems.

Archived