Is heroin so passe?

Everyone knows the difference between right and wrong.

Any thoughts on the "forbidden apple" theory? Make something illegal, make it underground and illicit, and more people are drawn to it. Do you reckon that could be true?

Any thoughts on the "forbidden apple" theory? Make something illegal, make it underground and illicit, and more people are drawn to it. Do you reckon that could be true?

I think there could be truth in the theory but in this case do not think it is a case to change the law.

The severe addictiveness is the core argument.

'Could' involves supposing what a government would do. It's irrelevant. The government should supply clean heroin on prescription.

Equally though, it is a silly assertion. Children don't just choose one day to go and take opiates.

Reflecting on what the goverment would do is not irrelevant its important.

I'm talking about youmg people,teenagers.those who are likely to wish to try heroin. If it was made legal as some of you are proposing it should be,and supplied in pure form. How should it be supplied to them?

Ideally if it was legal they would not wish to try it,as it would no longer be the forbidden fruit,but thats an assumption of no certainty.

We want to be certain that every angle is considered by the goverment Chris,and everthing is thought through thats all i'm saying.

Reflecting on what the goverment would do is not irrelevant its important.

It's irrelevant. We don't have any knowledge of what the current government would do. We have even less knowledge about what hypothetical governments would do. It's worthless.

I'm talking about youmg people,teenagers.those who are likely to wish to try heroin. If it was made legal as some of you are proposing it should be,and supplied in pure form. How should it be supplied to them?

They'd have to go and rationally speak to a doctor about their wish to try a new drug for recreational purposes. You think that'd be a common occurence?

Equally, they could just buy dangerous street heroin off of a drug pusher who wants a new supply of addicts.

It's irrelevant. We don't have any knowledge of what the current government would do. We have even less knowledge about what hypothetical governments would do. It's worthless.

They'd have to go and rationally speak to a doctor about their wish to try a new drug for recreational purposes. You think that'd be a common occurence?

Equally, they could just buy dangerous street heroin off of a drug pusher who wants a new supply of addicts.

Chris, legal or illegal you are talking about people becoming drug addicts.

Is that what you want ?

Chris, legal or illegal you are talking about people becoming drug addicts.

Is that what you want ?

You know full well that isn't what he wants. All the evidence points to decriminalisation or legalisation bringing about both a fall in the overall number of addicts and in the average age of addicts increasing - i.e. that fewer young people become addicted.

You know full well that isn't what he wants. All the evidence points to decriminalisation or legalisation bringing about both a fall in the overall number of addicts and in the average age of addicts increasing - i.e. that fewer young people become addicted.

But why if as Chris says a youngster goes to the doctor and requests heroin won't his or her mates do the same ?

Addicts will still be created.

No, but people are becoming drug addicts anyway. The choice is not between addicts and no addicts. It's about how to deal with the wider problem.

No Chris the aim must be to stop people becoming addicted.

Relate the 2 scenarios to a child of yours.

Archived