Is heroin so passe?

Of course you'll get people going to their doctor for heroin (or whatever other legal source is put in place)- that's the whole point.

And, if so, then the market for illegal heroin is finshed.

So you are saying that anyone will be given heroin that asks for it?

Yes, I already told you how to test it!

No, that'd just give me anacdotal evidence that the winos at Sheffield Cathedral may try heroin.

I'd like some proof that 'many alcoholics will go for any high to get them by'. The vast majority of alcoholics that I've known in my life have been users purely of alcohol. I've known some, a minority, who also did other drugs, but none of them did opiates.

It would be supplied like any other drug- packaged with info about quantity of active substance, safe ways to take it and any health issues associated with it: supplied by a person qualified to do so.

Just as all regulated drugs are i.e. paracetemol, alcohol and prescribed drugs.

As for the 'forbidden fruit' part- the fact that usage tends to drop when the drug is legal- it's no assumption, it's the conclusion of many studies that have examined what happens when a country decides to scrap prohibition

Paracetemol is sold in stores.Alcohol everywhere,Heroin wouldn't be would it.

On what grounds do you think a qualified medical practitioner should be willing to prescribe heroin?

This forum is all about different opinions.

If I understand you correctly you consider it acceptable for addicts to have no wish to stop their habit.

Are you an expert on the subject or a qualified medical practitioner ?

Any expert will tell you that, when it comes to escaping an addiction, it is vital that the person addicted, wants to escape it.

Without that basic desire, the addiction will continue.

What I, you, or anyone else considers 'acceptable' is utterly irrelevant, and, i really fail to see why you would thing what you consider to be 'acceptable' would have any effect on the addictions of others (unless you're some kind of control freak who obsesses on the 'failings' of others).

Of course, with addiction, even before the person can form a genuine desire to quit, there must be the acceptance that they are in fact addicted.

And, you'll find that, just because other people can clearly see there is an addiction, for the addicted person, it can be many, many years before they acknowledge it as such.

So you are saying that anyone will be given heroin that asks for it?

Ideally, yes. As anything less will tend to sustain a (albeit smaller) black market trade in unregulated heroin.

But, realistically, knowing the govt, they'll put in place such rather rigourous hoops for users to jump through.

If we look at this from another angle.

Is society to blame when a drug addict commits crime because the government will not supply them with a drug they have become dependant on by choice ?

Or should the person who has become addicted have taken personal responsibility for their life and consequences of their actions ?

Paracetemol is sold in stores.Alcohol everywhere,Heroin wouldn't be would it.

On what grounds do you think a qualified medical practitioner should be willing to prescribe heroin?

No, heroin wouldn't, I imagine, be sold in stores.

Bear in mind as well, that even the alcohol and paracetemol sold in stores, is not sold like other stock.

With alcohol you're got extensive age-testing, and, limited hours it can be sold in.

Even with paracetemol, most stroes seem to have a policy of restricting purchases to a limited number of packets.

The grounds on which a medical practitioner should prescribe heroin, IMO, should be-

1. the person is a heroin addict- that's clear cut

2. the person is going to take heroin anyway- obviously harder to judge, but, that;s what professionals are paid to do- judge.

Any expert will tell you that, when it comes to escaping an addiction, it is vital that the person addicted, wants to escape it.

Without that basic desire, the addiction will continue.

What I, you, or anyone else considers 'acceptable' is utterly irrelevant, and, i really fail to see why you would thing what you consider to be 'acceptable' would have any effect on the addictions of others (unless you're some kind of control freak who obsesses on the 'failings' of others).

Of course, with addiction, even before the person can form a genuine desire to quit, there must be the acceptance that they are in fact addicted.

And, you'll find that, just because other people can clearly see there is an addiction, for the addicted person, it can be many, many years before they acknowledge it as such.

In earlier posts I suggested addicts may be better served by mental health services to instill a will to stop the addiction rather than maintaining the addiction by supplying them with drugs.

Archived