Is heroin so passe?

Which leaves space for a black market!

A very much smaller black market, that over time alongside effective policing, wouldn't have the same attraction to the criminal underworld due to the drop of profits.

No business legal or otherwise can exist without a regular customer base, if the NHS can supply a much better product at the fraction of the cost, where would this regular customer base come from?

Paracetemol is sold in stores.Alcohol everywhere,Heroin wouldn't be would it.

On what grounds do you think a qualified medical practitioner should be willing to prescribe heroin?

Let's ask them:

Prescribe heroin on the NHS, says nurse leader.

Injection rooms 'would cut crime and infection rates' but opponents warn of slippery slope.

The NHS should offer heroin to drug addicts and open "consumption rooms" where users can go to inject under medical supervision in order to cut crime and keep public spaces free from dirty needles, the head of Britain's biggest nursing union said today.

Dr Peter Carter, general secretary of the Royal College of Nursing (RCN), said providing heroin on the NHS would cut crime rates and help wean addicts off the drug.

Speaking in a personal capacity after a debate on the issue at the RCN's annual conference in Bournemouth, he said: "I do believe in heroin prescribing. The fact is, heroin is very addictive. People who are addicted so often resort to crime, to steal to buy the heroin."

He said he was aware of the controversy over how chronic drug users should be treated, but said: "It might take a few years but I think people will understand. If you are going to get people off heroin then in the initial stages we have to have proper heroin prescribing services."

The statement provoked an immediate reaction from academics and from within the nursing profession, with many saying that this was a "slippery slope" which could see the state subsidising other addictive drugs such as cocaine.

However there is emerging research that this strategy can work. Pilot studies run by academics at King's College's national addiction centre suggest that allowing users to inject heroin under medical supervision could cut local crime rates by two-thirds in six months.

Of 127 users involved in the pilots, three-quarters "substantially reduced" their use of street drugs, while their spending on drugs fell from £300 to £50 a week. The number of crimes they committed fell from 1,731 in three months to 547 in six months.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/apr/26/prescribe-heroin-nhs-nurse-rcn

All those crimes severely affected the victims, it's horrible to be burgled, or worse, robbed.

Why not support measures that reduce crime?

"If we could give heroin to registered addicts, not only could we use clean needles and discuss coming off on a regular basis; crime would be massively reduced; they wouldn't need to recruit more addicts from school playgrounds in order to support their own habit (our children would be safer). They would hang out less with drug users. The black market would be massively reduced. Farmers in Afghanistan could sell their product legally for a fair price rather than to drug lords and gun runners, the positive repercussions would be global. Heroin has always been used in British hospitals, when necessary it is the most effective analgesia of all. The saving in police time will pay for cancer drugs over and over again"

http://www.nursinginpractice.com/article/call-prescribe-heroin-nhs

A very much smaller black market, that over time alongside effective policing, wouldn't have the same attraction to the criminal underworld due to the drop of profits.

No business legal or otherwise can exist without a regular customer base, if the NHS can supply a much better product at the fraction of the cost, where would this regular customer base come from?

For that to work, the concept of shooting galleries won't work, you would have to just walk away with it, and enough for at least a full day for a full on addict.

Is that the direction you think it should go?

If not, then either these shooting gallery type places will turn into squat / slum areas or addicts will go elsewhere.

I'll pay a premium to drink alcohol away from the masses, just like addicts will...

I'll pay a premium to drink alcohol away from the masses, just like addicts will...

But you were talking about winos earlier. Addicts who don't pay a premium to drink alcohol away from the masses. Infact the very opposite. They drink cheap booze in the middle of town.

You can't even keep a solid line of argument.

No, heroin wouldn't, I imagine, be sold in stores.

Bear in mind as well, that even the alcohol and paracetemol sold in stores, is not sold like other stock.

With alcohol you're got extensive age-testing, and, limited hours it can be sold in.

Even with paracetemol, most stroes seem to have a policy of restricting purchases to a limited number of packets.

The grounds on which a medical practitioner should prescribe heroin, IMO, should be-

1. the person is a heroin addict- that's clear cut

2. the person is going to take heroin anyway- obviously harder to judge, but, that;s what professionals are paid to do- judge.

Points.

1.I agree with you.

2. I wish i had more confidence in the judgement of those professionals.:)

Archived