Shapla Indian Restaurant

solarjim

Probably the best in Sheffield. How many of the others have been around 25 years? I would bet there aren't many restaurants that could take that accolade.

There is a reason for it's longevity in one of the crappier areas of the city centre.

The people that slate it are probably your late night Korma brigade anyhow.

For most of that time it was one of the few places open late so it served mainly as an after-hours bar with an obligatory curry. That may have been the main reason for its longevity. Since the licensing laws changed it had to refurb and try and compete on its food instead.

I didn't rate it before and don't rate it now. It's better than Balti King though.

it's ok to say a place is "one of the best" if you've tried most of them. What we get on here are people who say how wonderful a place is based on very limited experience of others.

I've no recent experience of Shapla - all I know about it is that it has been, for many years, the late-night curry and beer crowd's favourite. Not the most discerning clientele in the main.

I'm surprised if it's that good that it isn't more famous outside of Sheffield that's all I can say.

I can't see me preferring that to Akbar's - although do come back on here and tell me about their fish dishes and giant nan breads made fresh every day on the premises won't you?

I always consider Shapla to be a good solid Indian Restaurant. The only criticism I would have is that the service can be a bit slow, especially when I've asked for the bill and I'm ready for the nest box.

Regards

Doom

I always consider Shapla to be a good solid Indian Restaurant. The only criticism I would have is that the service can be a bit slow, especially when I've asked for the bill and I'm ready for the nest box.

Regards

Doom

your words tell us a lot.

It's a "good solid" restaurant. Nothing amazing - nothing bad - just average fare which will appeal to the vast majority of people. That's why I won't bother going to try it again.

I can't afford to eat out too often thesedays, so when I do i want it to be a real treat.

I can get very good quality Indian food from Takdir's at Parkhead and stop in. So, if I'm going to go out and spend more money then I want quality at least as good as Takdir or preferably better. I don't believe Shapla will give me that based on what I hear.

your words tell us a lot.

It's a "good solid" restaurant. Nothing amazing - nothing bad - just average fare which will appeal to the vast majority of people. That's why I won't bother going to try it again.

I can't afford to eat out too often thesedays, so when I do i want it to be a real treat.

I can get very good quality Indian food from Takdir's at Parkhead and stop in. So, if I'm going to go out and spend more money then I want quality at least as good as Takdir or preferably better. I don't believe Shapla will give me that based on what I hear.

I've been eating around Sheffield City Centre for the last 25 years, so I've more or less been to all the Indians at some time or other.

It maybe because I'm a member of the drink a gallon of beer before eating brigade, but I rarely wake up the next morning thinking what a wonderful meal I had last night, but I do tend to remember the really bad ones.

Regards

Doom

it's ok to say a place is "one of the best" if you've tried most of them. What we get on here are people who say how wonderful a place is based on very limited experience of others.

I've no recent experience of Shapla - all I know about it is that it has been, for many years, the late-night curry and beer crowd's favourite. Not the most discerning clientele in the main.

I'm surprised if it's that good that it isn't more famous outside of Sheffield that's all I can say.

I can't see me preferring that to Akbar's - although do come back on here and tell me about their fish dishes and giant nan breads made fresh every day on the premises won't you?

What's so special about akbar's? Fish or do you mean mush giant nan breads not made in the tandoor and most of all it's right next to that treatment plant the aroma from that eaten at shapla 10years no complaints from me and I'm not a fan of chain restaurants because the food is not freshly made on the premise like your small local backstreet Indians

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived