Old Fashioned Sweet shops in Sheffield

Grannellis had a shop at the bottom of Duke street about 50 years ago.

I can remember the window display, the chocs were all piled up neatley on shelves from top to bottom of the window.

They sold the darkest chocolate ever called Oliver Twist and coffee beans that burst in your mouth.

My dad used to buy enough sweets to last a week

Glad to here they are still trading.

:thumbsup:

Being a Rotherhamer but my mums side of the family are from Sheffield we would visit Sheffield quite often to go to my Grans / Aunties etc.

The first stop was always my grans which was up the hill from the sweet shop and turn right (can't remember the name now).

Now we would catch the bus to Sheffield then my mum would always give me the choice of either another bus to my grans or walk and spend the bus fare at Grannellis. It amazes me now the amount of sweets we got for the price of the bus fares (this being in the 70s we where talking a matter of pence for busfares.

Now I noticed the shop was still open a couple of months back and keep planning on taking the mates kids up there as they don't believe me when I tell them about it.

Does anybody know what times they are open (especially Saturdays)

Would recommend the little sweetie shop on Ecclesall Road South, opposite the huge CofE church, by the lights for Carterknowle road, can't remember the name.

Does all the fancy Belgian chocolates you would expect in this neighbourhood,e but also offers all the classics in jars. There is something evocative of my childhood hearing the rattle of the boiled sweets hitting the scales. I love blackcurrant and licquorice.

Granellis own both the shop at park square roundabout as talk about and the open air shop on the moor!

This shop has been open yrs and yrs!

Quality sweets, old fashioned and very cheap!

Plus, i can allways remember going there as a lad for some brandy snaps and some chocolate lick. mmmmmmmm

If you've got kids or can borrow some then it's well worth taking them to this shop just to see their eye's light up and it's a pretty good exscuse for you to indulge as well.

There used to be a sweet shop at the bottom of Woodseats road and the family who ran it also had one in Dore village on a corner and i used to frequent both mostly for the jellied fruits but also to chat to the young lady who wworked there.

Archived